Echo & Alexa Forums

I am attempting to use Amazon Echo in my vehicle

rambrosi

I am attempting to use Amazon Echo in my vehicle
« on: July 23, 2017, 06:52:10 pm »
When I connect to Wifi, it sees the DOT at setup, but when attempt to tether my phone to my cellular hotspot it turns the wifi off and loses the echo connection. When I turn my tethering hotspot off I can re-enable wifi again but cannot run both at the same time. I've seen this done successfully on YouTube.
Thanks in advance,

Moto G4 Plus
Android 7
Latest Alexa software

asianrocker

Re: I am attempting to use Amazon Echo in my vehicle
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2017, 04:55:11 pm »
When I connect to Wifi, it sees the DOT at setup, but when attempt to tether my phone to my cellular hotspot it turns the wifi off and loses the echo connection. When I turn my tethering hotspot off I can re-enable wifi again but cannot run both at the same time. I've seen this done successfully on YouTube.
Thanks in advance,

Moto G4 Plus
Android 7
Latest Alexa software

As far as I know it is behaving as it should. Whenever I turn my hotspot on I get a  message turning wifi off. You can't use it at the same time by default.

mike27oct

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2017, 07:16:57 pm »
Agree w/rocker.  You can't have both connections at same time.

malliekm

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2017, 10:47:27 pm »
But you CAN use Alexa in the car with your phone's hotspot or your car's hotspot.  There are directions on this forum somewhere but you can follow this Google search for several how to links including videos.
https://www.google.com/search?q=directions+to+using+Alexa+in+your+car&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

Offline kevb

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2017, 08:22:47 am »
I used 2 phones to do this. Set up phone1 as a mobile hotspot. Connect wifi of phone2 to phone1. Use phone2 to setup the dot. The dot will then be able to connect to phone1's hotspot. Both phones should be on the same Amazon account. I used my phone as the hotspot, and my wife's phone to do the setup. If you only have one phone, you might be able to use a tablet as "phone2" in this scenario.

asianrocker

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2017, 03:16:44 pm »
OR.. the OP can just use his phone's BUILT in AI assistant. I  have android so I have google assistant. Trust me, it is way better than any echo in the car. But people are really obsessed about dot in their car for some weird reason.

I actually thought of that too, for my echo on my drive home from mall of america where I bought it but I can't even set it up from my hotel's wifi.  ;D