Echo & Alexa Forums

Echo Home Theater Integration

GMCHAS

Echo Home Theater Integration
« on: July 26, 2017, 03:52:37 pm »
Ok,  So I have the Echo and the Echo dot.  I am trying to better integrate into my home audio configuration.  I figure I would use the Dot as it has the aux output.  My issue is that I don't want to have to constantly switch the source to hear it.  Dream scenario would be to have the ability to be watching TV with audio coming from receiver.  When you call for Alexa the TV audio would mute, Alexa would you respond... she says ok...  all is done with Alexa and then the TV audio would ramp back up.  Don't think this level currently exists other than some possible Crestron setup.  If it does exist please let me know.   
In the meantime I have been considering the following.  We are currently doing some house work so some walls and ceiling are open.  I am re-routing all of my AV equipments to a new location.  I was thinking about installing a separate system just for the Echo.  I have a extra Niles 2 channel amp I could connect the Dot to and install a in-ceiling dual voice coil speaker in the living room and one in the kitchen.  (Kitchen and living room are one open space).  Then use the line-out from the Niles amp into a currently unused source on my home theater receiver.  That way if I wanted to have the Echo output broadcast to the distributed audio I could. Then with the Harmony Hub controlling my home theater receives via the Echo while still being able to hear the echo.  This does not fully address my ultimate goal with the muting of one source or switching of source when the Echo is triggered and returning volume or switch back to the previous source when the Echo task is complete.
Does this make sense?  Has anyone done this?  Is there a easier way to achieve my goal?

mike27oct

Re: Echo Home Theater Integration
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2017, 04:53:07 pm »
I have a Dot integrated into my home stereo system along with TV sound.  The best way is that TV audio and Dot audio (along with all other sources for entertainment center (e.g. blu-ray, FireTV, Roku, Chromecast, media player, etc, etc, etc) each have their unique inputs, so we HAVE to switch source switch to use one or the other -- no auto-switching allowed. 

Dot for my TV is ONLY for the aux out input for stereo, and not other Dot features.  Dots are cheap when on sale, so get another so you can dedicate one to this audio purpose.  An Echo and Google Home are across a short hall if we need to ask questions or give commands.  We name our many Dots "echo" and our Echo is named Alexa.  This minimizes and adds to confusion depending on how you look at it. ;)

boykinjw

Re: Echo Home Theater Integration
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2017, 11:20:15 am »
What you're looking for is something like the Sonance AL2, it has 2 inputs: a main that is the primary audio source (your TV) and a secondary or remote source (echo dot) and one output. It always plays the primary input unless it senses line level voltage on the secondary input, at which time it mutes the primary and plays the secondary. I believe there is a configurable delay before it switches back to primary (wait 5 seconds for example) http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sonance-AL2-Automatic-Line-Level-Source-Selector-/172145761386