Echo & Alexa Forums

Disable curse word beeps?

Re: Disable curse word beeps?
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2018, 03:21:51 pm »
Me neither. Grubby, personalised and pointless nastiness that helps no one. I reported it but I'm wondering if this person has another account that we'd all recognise or if they were just cruising and this particular post hit their troll button.

I was wondering the same.  it is easy to check the ip address for dup accounts.   My question is, why have the moderators or admin not deleted it yet???   Its been well over 13 hours since it was posted.  this is supposed to be a family friendly forum. 
« Last Edit: March 13, 2018, 03:24:16 pm by renegade600 »

strayfish

« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2018, 03:30:12 pm »
I don’t think there’s that many of them, could even be single handed.

« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2018, 03:42:59 pm »
I don’t think there’s that many of them, could even be single handed.

I think there are two moderators and one admin/owner.  I have yet to see forum software that does not have a way to censor words.   You can do it in Simple Machine Forum software too.    IMO, there is no excuse for this. 

strayfish

« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2018, 03:57:04 pm »
I suppose the problem here is that the words themselves are innocent, it's the way they're used and the context that makes them offensive. Spotting that might be beyond forum software?

« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2018, 05:53:00 pm »
I suppose the problem here is that the words themselves are innocent, it's the way they're used and the context that makes them offensive. Spotting that might be beyond forum software?

it is not beyond the forum software.  there is a section where all you do is create a list of words you do not want used on the forum.  I setup and use smf software a few years ago when I was creating and running websites. 

strayfish

« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2018, 06:27:37 pm »
Yes but these words, used differently, wouldn't merit censoring. I have a feeling whoever made that post knew that.

« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2018, 01:44:55 pm »
How wasn't the OP a valid question?!?  For god sakes, not everyone shares a fear of certain "bad" words...

malliekm

« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2018, 04:31:33 pm »
Me neither. Grubby, personalised and pointless nastiness that helps no one. I reported it but I'm wondering if this person has another account that we'd all recognise or if they were just cruising and this particular post hit their troll button.

I don't know what I missed, but I'm pretty sure I'm glad I missed it :o  Public decorum is  sad thing to have lost.

strayfish

« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2018, 06:48:54 pm »
How wasn't the OP a valid question?!?  For god sakes, not everyone shares a fear of certain "bad" words...

I'm wondering if you came into this thread after the comment I was replying to was removed. Looking back now, it could be seen to apply to the original post but it doesn't. Someone created an account specifically to aim a personalised attack on another forum member and it's been removed. My comment and the ones following are related to that and not to the subject of the thread.

« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2018, 08:32:22 am »

I'm wondering if you came into this thread after the comment I was replying to was removed. Looking back now, it could be seen to apply to the original post but it doesn't. Someone created an account specifically to aim a personalised attack on another forum member and it's been removed. My comment and the ones following are related to that and not to the subject of the thread.

Ahhh. ok then.  I hate when posts get deleted.

strayfish

« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2018, 09:39:16 am »
It's an unfortunate effect but I'm glad the offensive post is gone :)

LeahStorm

« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2019, 12:50:12 pm »
I would very much like to know how to remove censorship from my echo dot device. My devices should not dictate my speech. I will choose for myself how I speak and the words I use. It's not for amazon, verizon, the government, nor other people to decide that for me. Also, I watched that video where the kid pre programmed a reply to a particular question and it swore back at him for a full minute, and found it hilarious.

Haggy

« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2019, 06:34:13 pm »
Yes, just don't use them in front of Alexa or children!

Good grief, what a question.  Fortunately, this seems to be a built in feature we cannot disable.

First of all, the OP was looking for an answer to a question, not a lecture. Second of all, there are good reasons to want to turn off censorship. I don't use bad language around children or around anybody else. The very first time I used Alexa, I was searching for information on Maine Coon cats.  Alexa came back with "Maine c**n."  Not only hadn't I used any offensive language, had I had young children with me, it would have put me in a very uncomfortable position. I'd have to explain why Alexa thought I was using a bad word. I'd have to get into a discussion of racial epithets and why it's bad in some contexts. Frankly, it shouldn't be up to Alexa to accuse anybody of using inappropriate language, nor put any user in an uncomfortable position because it has no clue what's offensive. I certainly shouldn't have to be forced to explain to anybody why I did nothing wrong, and have to explain why Alexa was wrong. How would I even do that without saying that Alexa doesn't know what Alexa is talking about?

If people use vulgar language on purpose, I can only assume that they intend to do so, and of all people they would not be offended if Alexa repeated it back to them. It might be legitimate if Alexa were to speak to a public forum, but it makes no sense to censor anything when speaking to an individual who doesn't want things censored, especially when they aren't objectionable.

So is there a way of turning this off, or should people stick with one of the many alternatives to Alexa that are out there?

« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2019, 01:30:45 am »
Yes, just don't use them in front of Alexa or children!

Good grief, what a question.  Fortunately, this seems to be a built in feature we cannot disable.  Many of us need constant reminders to clean up our speech.  Appreciate that Alexa is helping you in this way, too.

They're just words. Get over it. Curse words are necessary and we use them to make a (insert curse word here) point.

« Reply #29 on: August 01, 2019, 08:45:01 am »
George Carlin is sorely missed.