Echo & Alexa Forums

X10 via Broadlink RM Pro?

X10 via Broadlink RM Pro?
« on: July 23, 2017, 12:08:56 pm »
Yes this is possible, with the newest firmware for the BroadLink RM Pro.
There are even some shared codes on the eControl app cloud share.
I've been playing with the Broadlink and x10 RF over the last few weeks and uploaded some codes to the cloud share (many posted there didn't work  :'( )

Cool thing is the Broadlink will even learn X10 security codes 8)
I uploaded a templet for a x10 security remote but without the codes. ;)

Have some old X10 modules in a box somewhere?
It maybe time to put them back into use. ;)
If your already using Alexa with a Broadlink RM Pro adding Alexa control to your X10 is simple.  ;)

albenj@yahoo.com

Re: X10 via Broadlink RM Pro?
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2017, 09:39:09 pm »
I successfully added alexa  and Broadlink RM Pro. I am trying to connect my x10 house system but cannot find the codes you mention. can you give me any help?
Al B

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2017, 07:43:46 am »
The codes I mentioned are only for the eControl App
You have to be logged in order to download codes from their cloud share service.
 once you have your Broadlink configured in the App click add remote. At the top of the remote add page click on the magnifying glass (top right)
Type in X10 scroll down to the bottom of the list to those uploaded by Juan or myself.
clicking on one will down load it. Currently, most of the others don't work and even those posted by Juan or myself aren't complete but will give you a good start.
Unfortunately those codes are for the eControl app only.
If your using the RM Bridge app for Alexa control I've posted codes for house code "L" on my forum
http://tuicemen.com/forum/index.php?board=105.0
I've also posted how to add learned codes to your RM Bridge.
I encourage others to post learned code text files there as well so hopefully we can get a complete x10 code library. ;)

« Last Edit: July 28, 2017, 07:45:24 am by tuicemen »

albenj@yahoo.com

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2017, 10:07:16 pm »
I am using 20 x10 devices  in my home as follows alexa,heyu, ha-bridge, CM11A  with a RaspberryPi 3B.  I can help anybody if they use this setup. I have set up  Alexa and Broadlink to control My TV But have trouble with X10 setup.
Could you outline each step by step that you used to control x10. I am 93 and not completely familiar with all the jargon.
What Hardware and software etc. And where I can find the software?
Thanks for your help.

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2017, 07:39:40 am »
Right now I use Windows 10 with the HA-Bridge and Alex10 ( http://tuicemen.com/alex10 ) which works with the cm11, cm15, cm19, and a few other pc interfaces.

I've just started to experiment using the Broadlink RM for X10. You should be able to incorporate the BroadLink  for X10 into your existing setup with a few tweaks.
First you'll need an Android device to be running (old phone, Android TV box or stick) download the RM Bridge app and install to this device.
With the RM Bridge running go to http://rm-bridge.fun2code.de/rm_manage/ go to create new codes and configure the Broadlink address  then you can learn codes. just follow the onscreen instructions.
If you wish to import codes like those I've posted on my site go back to link above and click import code shortcuts.

With the codes you configured your ready to add the to the HA-Bridge.
I assume you already Know how to add on/of/dim calls to the HA-Bridge so I'll not go into to much detail here.
From the RM Bridge (http://rm-bridge.fun2code.de/rm_manage/) go to Manage code shortcuts
Find the code for the on/of and dim(if wished) for the x10 device your adding to the HA-Bridge and place them in the correct on/off/dim calls section for that device.
Your x10 call will be Custom calls
the on call will be http device (under Type) the on short cut address (under target item)
the dim call will be http device (under Type) the dim short cut address (under target item)
the off call will be http device (under Type) the off short cut address (under target item)

hope that Helps  ;)

dimka2000

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2017, 04:14:00 pm »
Hi,
just got my rm3. While downloaded shared codes work for X10 control,  I can't figure out how to learn them myself. Which remote template should I use?
Thanks!

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2017, 05:03:06 pm »
Use "User-Defined", it really doesn't matter if you use Sort in order or Sort in random.
Sort in random allows you to move the buttons around to allow a custom look. ;)

dimka2000

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2017, 11:26:48 am »
Hmm, still missing something.
add remote - user defined - sort in order - plus sign - save - learn single.
then tried both learn and sweep frequency while turning on lamp module with X10 remote 2 ft from the hub - no dice. :(

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2017, 12:54:25 pm »
What firmware version is your Broadlink?
I know I had to email broadlink to get an update as the version I was (20023) on wouldn't see the newest (20024).
I'm now at v20028

dimka2000

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2017, 12:32:19 pm »
I'm at 200028 as well. And, as I mentioned, downloaded codes work fine, however trying to learn the code myself does not work. Weird.
So when learning, do you use   'learn" or "sweep frequency" mode?

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2017, 03:29:24 pm »
You have to use "Sweep frequency" this allows the Broadink to see what RF frequency to use and if it is learnable.
Once the Broadlink sees the frequency it will ask for you to press the button you wish to use. ;)

dimka2000

« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2017, 12:12:49 pm »
Ok, so narrowed it down to the last step. When I sweep frequency, the first step always work,  however when it asks to push the button you want to use, it almost always just times out. One out of 3-5 times it works. I thought maybe the X10 remote I use is not good, but it turns light on and off every time without failure.
Is the x10 code learning as painful for you, or it it definitely something on my end?

« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2017, 04:51:35 pm »
Very rarely did the learn button time out for me.
I found when it did time out I wasn't close enough to the Broadlink, the learn range is very short.
I used a 5 in 1 x10 remote (UR73A) as that's all I had at my off grid place.
The learn process is a pain  I guess that's why the share option was created. ;)

asianrocker

« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2017, 05:38:02 pm »
Yes this is possible, with the newest firmware for the BroadLink RM Pro.
There are even some shared codes on the eControl app cloud share.
I've been playing with the Broadlink and x10 RF over the last few weeks and uploaded some codes to the cloud share (many posted there didn't work  :'( )

Cool thing is the Broadlink will even learn X10 security codes 8)
I uploaded a templet for a x10 security remote but without the codes. ;)

Have some old X10 modules in a box somewhere?
It maybe time to put them back into use. ;)
If your already using Alexa with a Broadlink RM Pro adding Alexa control to your X10 is simple.  ;)

I have seen that ha bridge github but it said you still need an actual hub for this to work? I want to bypass the need for hub. I also want to use the IR on my laptop. I basically want a cheapo home automation without buying these hubs. Can I do this without a hub?

« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2017, 07:37:29 pm »
The HA-Bridge is a Philips Hue bridge emulator
You don't need a physical hub to use the HA-Bridge however it will work with several hubs.
The only thing I have that can be considered a hub currently is the Broadlink RM pro.
 ;)