Echo & Alexa Forums

Alexa in the car? Yes please

jim1590

Alexa in the car? Yes please
« on: July 21, 2017, 10:02:03 pm »
Ha! It works!

Now to share what I did. I came across the ZTE Mobley from AT&T which is a mobile hotspot you plug into your cars OBD port. (Amazon has adaptors to plug it into a USB.) This is a mini-router which allows up to 5 connections using the AT&T 4g network. Plug it in, allow it a few seconds to connect and you are live.

Now how about that Alexa? I took a dot I had lying around and plugged it into my cars USB power port. Once it powered up, I set up wi-fi to see the Mobley. Now to drive around and test it out. I streamed music no problem on 2 ten minute drives. I even parked the car for 30 min in between with everything powered down. Once I started the car up, everything booted, I was right back in business. And when I pulled into the driveway, I asked her to turn on the outside lights!

That much data will get expensive, no? Ummm no. AT&T has a plan for "Connected Car" unlimited data using this device for $20 a month plus fees. And yes, it can be by itself on the plan. No other devices needed.

https://www.att.com/devices/zte/mobley.html#sku=sku7700323

You need to order it on the website. I spent 3+ hours on the phone, and a trip to a store trying to get this sorted out. Most if the employees had zero clue what I was talking about.

I think I got myself a winner.

malliekm

Re: Alexa in the car? Yes please
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2017, 10:25:00 pm »

Offline jwlv

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2017, 10:26:48 pm »
Hmm, that looks pretty cool! Verizon has a similar product too, but the monthly service fee costs more and gives you less GB than AT&T.

According to AT&T, the data service for Mobley is $20/month for 22GB. Anything over 22GB may be throttled down.

mike27oct

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2017, 12:18:06 am »
Hmm, for the $240/yr it costs, that is lots more than Sirius XM costs us per year (we always renegotiate their rip off price of $200+ down to $100 each renewal year.)  Do the math yourself.

malliekm

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2017, 12:23:56 am »
Mike, I negotiated my renewal (after the free 6 month trial) to $72.  That was at the end of 2011.  I haven't paid a single cent since LOL  It's still going and I'm not about to call and ask why!

jim1590

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2017, 09:24:34 am »
I have a constant battle with sirius xm and pricing.

But, I now have a way for my kids fire tablets to jump online. I am also going to email the developers of the android based GPS I use and go on and on about how great alexa support would be. Imagine saying "Alexa, plot me a course home" Or "Alexa, update traffic"

Plus, I am able to put it in my wifes car, bring it inside if my local internet provider has a issue.

I showed it to my father right after setting it up. My parents have a Class A RV and were trying to figure out internet on the road. They have been using phones as a hotspot and it was cumbersome. 10 min after I showed him the setup, he placed an order. The first question from my mother was, can we bring Alexa now?

mike27oct

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2017, 02:19:21 pm »
Monica:  I will make the call for you!   ;)

Jim: I can understand how the new setup is beneficial to you and your family; it's just not another expense I want to make right now, since the "utils" we would receive from it are minimum for us with no kids around anymore. But, for you, it is a great idea.  Enjoy it.

Offline jwlv

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2018, 04:21:06 pm »
I'm reviving this year old thread because an alternative to the ZTE Mobley has just arrived. Last year the ZTE Mobley was extremely popular among RVers mainly because it was cheap ($20/month), offered 22GB of LTE data and many people reported that even after 22GB the data continued at full 4G LTE speed, and the hotspot can be shared by up to 8 devices. The Mobley sold out within a month and has not come back. The only way to get one was to buy a used one on Ebay or similar site, often for as much as $300 or $400.

September 28, 2018, AT&T released the Harmon Spark. It works just like the Mobley by attaching to the ODB port. Because it is connected to the ODB port, it can give you vehicle security and maintenance features including emergency crash assistance and a virtual mechanic to let you know if the car needs attention. A Spark feature called WatchIt sends an alert if your vehicle is bumped, towed, or moved and tracks its location with an onboard GPS. You can also use the Spark app to call and pay for roadside assistance at your precise location.

The Harman Spark costs $80 and the data plan is still $20/month for 22GB at 4G LTE and unlimited data at lower speeds.

https://www.att.com/devices/harman/spark.html#sku=sku8900265