Echo & Alexa Forums

Echo as Bluetooth speaker for TV

dsteelman

Echo as Bluetooth speaker for TV
« on: July 07, 2015, 09:01:31 am »
I want to use the Echo as a Bluetooth speaker for my TV. The only audio out on my TV is digital audio (Toslink). There is one Chinese company making a device which purports to convert the digital audio to analog and allow for a Bluetooth connection. It's marketed under different names but link is here: http://www.telme2.com/webshop/index.php?id_product=8&controller=product      Another option would be to buy a separate digital audio to analog converter, then connect that to separate bluetooth transmitter. I'm concerned about the reliability of the linked device, and I'd like to avoid too many conversions/devices/cables. I'm also not entirely sure the linked device would pair with the Echo, although it seems like it should. Anyone have any thoughts on this? Better solution? All help appreciated.

Offline jwlv

Re: Echo as Bluetooth speaker for TV
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2015, 08:28:06 pm »
I think that's just a bad idea. The Echo isn't all that great as a speaker in the first place. It's probably only marginally better than most TV speakers, but not by much. Why not just get a good quality sound bar for your TV?
« Last Edit: July 07, 2015, 09:12:23 pm by jwlv »

johnehurst

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2015, 03:41:08 pm »
Wouldn't it be cool if Echo interfaced with Sonos.  That would save me the trauma of having to scroll through my iPhone SONOS app to pick a song.   :P

doc.hodges@gmail.com

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2015, 01:55:48 pm »
I don't care so much if the sound is good or bad.  I find it entertaining to find ways to hook stuff together.

I have a couple of these
Bluetooth Stereo Gateway DC800 Bluetooth Adapter for Home Stereo
   A bit more money but high quality.

and several versions of devices like this:
Bluetooth Transmitter, TaoTronics Portable Wireless Stereo Music Transmitter for 3.5mm Audio Devices

You can find it all on Amazon.  BestBuy also has them but usually they are online only.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/aluratek-bluetooth-audio-transmitter-white/4236915.p?id=1219711483005&skuId=4236915

Look for something that you can power with a USB plug.  Ones for cars with a 12V round plug won't help in the living room.  Battery power is also less useful.
Cheers

Rockcranky

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2015, 10:03:21 pm »
I bought a bluetooth transmitter off amazon. Model H-366T. Without being able to tell it to pair with the echo, I could not use it. Or at least figure out how.

mike27oct

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2015, 02:53:20 am »
Well, I just bought from Amazon a Bluetooth device, it works great, and was delivered just 24 hours after placing my order,  It is a:

Mpow Streambot 2-In-1 Wireless Bluetooth Audio Music Streaming Switchable Transmitter and Receiver
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00P20TFWM?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00

Easy setup, and now I can easily stream my iPod to Echo!  Echo never sounded better

Using BT of my laptop, I also can stream music, playlists etc from my home network NAS server to Echo and other BT devices.