Echo & Alexa Forums

New Echo Show is logged into a stranger's account

jw123

New Echo Show is logged into a stranger's account
« on: July 14, 2017, 11:57:57 pm »
Hello. I'm hoping someone here can help me. I just received a new Echo Show and it seems to be logged into a stranger's account.

I powered it on for the first time, and selected my wi-fi network. It connected successfully, but then nothing happened. I went to Settings, and noticed there was a software update available. So I had it install the update.

Once it restarted, I went to Settings > Device Options, and it immediately showed this:

Now, I have no idea who comknib18 is, and I've never signed into his (or anyone's) account on this device.

But the problem is, I can't sign into a different account. I can't even reset the device to factory settings, since I need to get to Device Options first, and it gives me this login prompt every time I do.

I thought I might be able to change it using the Echo App on my iPhone. But when I go to Set Up a New Device there, it doesn't even show the Echo Show as an option. I tried selecting Echo, but it didn't seem to create the ad-hoc wi-fi network for my iPhone to connect to.

Could this be a bug with the software update I downloaded? What can I do? Thanks!
JW

Re: New Echo Show is logged into a stranger's account
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2017, 02:00:50 am »
you will have to contact amazon support with this.  the only way to deregister is through the account it is registered in.  only they can do that if it is registered with the wrong account. 

jw123

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2017, 03:01:34 pm »
Yep, that's what I ended up doing. They didn't figure out what was wrong, but for some reason after about an hour of signing in and out to various accounts, it let met access the device to factory settings. At that point I was able to sign in with my own account. My guess is that something went wrong with the system update the first time, but once I did the reset, the update finished applying.

malliekm

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2017, 05:20:30 pm »
Aren't you concerned you were sold a used Show?

jw123

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2017, 05:23:43 pm »
Nah, my company's paying for it, so it's fine.  :)