Echo & Alexa Forums

Network Setup Fails

Old_Bodger

Network Setup Fails
« on: July 13, 2017, 06:05:47 pm »
Had a refurb big Echo and couldn't get through the network setup so I sent it back thinking I had a dud and bought a Dot (v2) on Prime Day. It fails in the same way. Basically I can sometimes get as far a a screen in the app with "Connected To Echo Dot" with a "Continue" button. Pressing the button does nothing at all no matter what I do. This makes no sense at all and that is why I'm here begging here. BTW my network is WPA with AES so that shouldn't be a hindrance. But the system never gets as far as asking for the network password so that means that something else must be stopping it. Oh, and my home network is 10.0.0.1 based but Amazon couldn't have been so incompetent as to require a 192 net, could they? Anybody willing to give me a clue before I sent this one back and buy a Google cylinder?

Alpha Bitch

Re: Network Setup Fails
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2017, 02:23:01 pm »
Read the post at the top of this forum area:  http://www.echotalk.org/index.php/topic,2270.0.html

If it doesn't pertain to your situation then.....
Call tech support - 1-877-375-9365
« Last Edit: July 14, 2017, 02:38:16 pm by Alpha Bitch »

Old_Bodger

Re: Network Setup Fails
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2017, 04:41:50 pm »
Last night I gave up on the Android app after stumbling across mention of an actual browser-based control method during an online search. I had to go down to the basement to get to a computer that isn't strictly gigabit wired connection nor Linux but after a small stumble I got the setup to complete. This leaves me wondering why mention of this method was so difficult to find. If I was documenting Echo I'd have it in flashing lights at every opportunity but I guess that is why Amazon makes bazillions of dollars and I don't. I still need to figure out how to get the Dot to connect to my preferred wi-fi network rather than the extended network that serves downstairs but I'll leave that to a day when I'm not so tired.