Echo & Alexa Forums

Using outside the US

pc360

Re: Using outside the US
« Reply #60 on: August 17, 2016, 06:18:53 pm »
I have it all working now  using request maker I even got it to change the weather to my local area (my own post code) and its spot on.  I can also now find nearby information such as takeaway, hospitals etc.

Install request maker in Chrome.
Log onto Alexa on my PC http://alexa.amazon.com/
Go to settings.
Change address to an American address.
Then save.

On the top/right - select the envelope and looked for the XHR PUT pitangui.amazin.com/api/…
Then use request maker to edit raw text as follows:

Important: DO NOT change the label value at any point!

Firstly, set your timeZoneId (e.g.  America/Toronto), leave everything else as is and hit “Send”.

Then, add the following to your request (keep the timeZoneId changed, each step builds on the last):
1. Set the city value to your city/suburb  (e.g. Toronto)
2. Set countryCode (e.g. CA)
3. Set county (e.g. Toronto)
4. Set district (most likely — null)
5. Set houseNumber (e.g. 54)
6. Press “Send” to send those values

Then, once those have been sent, add changes to the following in the same way:
1. Set the first postalCode (e.g. M5K 6G4)
2. Set state (e.g. ON)
3. Set street (e.g. Grand Lake)
4. Press “Send” to send those values
Lastly:

1. Update the second postalCode  (e.g. M5K 6G4)
2. Press “Send” to send that value.

The Label will update itself based on your input above. Weather and asking for nearby restaurants all work. Asking for my location also gives me the correct information.

So long as you get 200 OK it will be successful. [emoji1] 🇨🇦

Cheers,
Alex

Cheers,
Alex

Great instructions Alex, this worked perfectly, thanks for taking the time to post.

TheFallenAngel

« Reply #61 on: August 17, 2016, 06:20:03 pm »
  Great instructions Alex, this worked perfectly, thanks for taking the time to post.
Glad it helped! :)

Cheers,
Alex
« Last Edit: August 17, 2016, 06:22:54 pm by TheFallenAngel »

Ruckus

« Reply #62 on: August 20, 2016, 09:17:38 am »
Hi there, new echo user here.

I've tried several times to do this and followed the instructions however i never seen the request for pitangui.amazin.com in my Chrome Request Maker.

I do also have another question, once i manage to get this working is it only going to work if the pc i use to edit the request is on?

Chris1958

« Reply #63 on: August 20, 2016, 09:45:32 am »
Worked for me too.  Brilliant and thank you.
For those of you struggling - just work through this thread and you will eventually sort it - everything is here to help you - its just that its outside usual skills - at least for me.  Got there in the end though. Thanks to all that contributed.

Ruckus

« Reply #64 on: August 20, 2016, 10:40:25 am »
got any tips for why i'm not seeing anything in my chrome request plugin?

TheFallenAngel

« Reply #65 on: August 20, 2016, 10:48:53 am »
got any tips for why i'm not seeing anything in my chrome request plugin?
Did you follow MY instructions (not the OP) to the T? They have worked 100% of the time. I could only speculate you are missing the step when you enter an US address and THEN open the request maker..

Cheers,
Alex

Ruckus

« Reply #66 on: August 20, 2016, 11:10:36 am »
yes followed your instructions further up the page here.

edit address to a different US Address
click save
click on chrome request in the top right and its empty.

several times i've tried now, so really no idea whats going on with it. if i open a new tab i can see that content in requests for that tab.

TheFallenAngel

« Reply #67 on: August 20, 2016, 11:15:37 am »
yes followed your instructions further up the page here.

edit address to a different US Address
click save
click on chrome request in the top right and its empty.

several times i've tried now, so really no idea whats going on with it. if i open a new tab i can see that content in requests for that tab.
Sorry mate,  never seen that happen...  Not sure why Request maker wouldn't show anything.. When you change  the address to a valid US address and press submit,  does the page reload and display that new address and the new zip code below it as it all should?

Cheers,
Alex

Ruckus

« Reply #68 on: August 20, 2016, 11:34:52 am »
ok i did a reboot and seemed to have managed to capture it and ive managed to edit it, thank for helping me out

now, the only other problem is that i live in Costa Rica. believe it or not, they dont have street addresses here. its crazy.

at least the time is working fine.

thanks again!!!

TheFallenAngel

« Reply #69 on: August 20, 2016, 12:28:50 pm »
ok i did a reboot and seemed to have managed to capture it and ive managed to edit it, thank for helping me out

now, the only other problem is that i live in Costa Rica. believe it or not, they dont have street addresses here. its crazy.

at least the time is working fine.

thanks again!!!
Great! They should still have some sort of addressing..  Experiment with the street field.. But you just can't order pizza I guess :)  if the rest of your location worked,  then you can all time related tasks and check the weather..  That's all you need :)

Cheers,
Alex

Ruckus

« Reply #70 on: August 20, 2016, 12:38:57 pm »
yeah been playing with all that stuff but its not taking anything. seriously the addresses here are descriptions like "200 meters south of walmart 200 west of some other building" and no one uses street names, zip codes or anything else apart from the area of the city you live in, and i'm in the cusp of 3 different zones.

i'm not too bothered about ordering pizza and stuff and i'm only a mile away from the embassy where i work. alexa is doing all i expected her to do for now.

moving on in a year, hopefully to a country with real addresses ;)

jolerius

« Reply #71 on: August 20, 2016, 05:08:46 pm »
I've followed the guide with only 200-answers so everything should be working. But i cant get her to tel Me weather for my location. She just says she can't find a forecast for the specified location. But she can tell me the time correctly.

Why not weather? It shouldn't be a problem I live in Sweden's second biggest town.

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

Ruckus

« Reply #72 on: August 20, 2016, 10:12:38 pm »
yeah on mine i still have to specify "weather in san jose, costa rica"

just "weather" returns "i couldnt find a forecast for that location" but figured it was just as my address system is a bit odd here.

jolerius

« Reply #73 on: August 21, 2016, 03:46:27 am »
I figured it could be a good thing to test out on accuweather.com what does work and gives a forecast.

But now when i tries, request maker doesnt find anything. It is just empty when clicking on it.
I tried restarting the chrome and the computer. But nothing...

any idea?

kezza_chris

« Reply #74 on: August 24, 2016, 09:15:25 pm »
Is anybody having problems setting the default music player in Settings > Music & Media > "Choose default music services".  I get a response of 'Could not retrieve music settings. Please try again later'

I am trying to set Spotify as the default so I don't have to ask Alexa to 'play on spotify'

Cheers