Echo & Alexa Forums

Green Ring on for messages but Alexa says can't play them

kwiebe

Green Ring on for messages but Alexa says can't play them
« on: July 14, 2017, 03:51:32 pm »
Yesterday suddenly all my devices had the green ring on (new message).  But Alexa response to "Play my messages" was:  "I can't play messages, the My Messages skill has been removed".  (something like that, pretty close)

I checked the Android app and don't see any new messages there.  But the green ring persists.

Any ideas?

Re: Green Ring on for messages but Alexa says can't play them
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2017, 05:30:01 pm »
I though yellow was for messages and green was for calls.

StevenR

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2017, 05:32:52 pm »
Try saying "Alexa, what are my notifications?" Amazon announced that they are releasing push notification support, with one of the first things supporting them being delivery notifications from Amazon.

kwiebe

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2017, 05:40:52 pm »
> I though yellow was for messages and green was for calls.

LOL. I didn't know what it meant so I asked Alexa - she said it meant I had a message.  You may be thinking of a pulsating green, which I think indicates an incoming call.

kwiebe

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2017, 05:43:55 pm »
Try saying "Alexa, what are my notifications?" Amazon announced that they are releasing push notification support, with one of the first things supporting them being delivery notifications from Amazon.

Thanks - I tried this and Alexa read me a notification. But the green ring persists. And anyway, why would Alexa say the skill had been removed when I try to play messages? If there are no messages, she should say so.

StevenR

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2017, 05:53:54 pm »
There may be more than one notification. I think you need to say "Alexa, Next" to go through them (or "Alexa, clear my notifications" to clear them all). I think to play messages, "Alexa, play message" should work - it seems like if you say "play my messages" it is getting confused with an old skill which was called "My Messages" which has since been deleted.

Some of this is speculation, as I am unable to test any of this because I am in the UK and therefore don't have the notification or messaging support.

ttapl

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2017, 02:58:45 pm »
It's rather ridiculous.  I got the pulsing green rings recently but Alexa would not tell me the message without enabling calling and messaging. I enabled messaging so I could get rid of the pulsing green ring.  The message was Amazon telling me I could sign up for calling and messaging.  Now I have calling enabled, which I didn't want, and don't know how to disable it.