Echo & Alexa Forums

dot in car

malliekm

Re: dot in car
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2017, 08:20:31 pm »
I watched this yesterday.  My car doesn't have it's own wifi hotspot and someone here said that if you make your phone a hotspot for the wifi, your phone is disabled (for phone calls).

keeptalking

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2017, 05:32:51 am »
Connecting to your phone hotspot shouldn't affect making or receiving calls - you may find your internet connection stops for the duration of the call, but I think this depends on your phone and carrier.

You can also use a wifi 'dongle' which you can leave permanently in the car - so you don't have to remember to switch on your hotspot, and the Echo will work regardless of who is in the car (ie not dependant on your phone being present).

Regards,

Mark

Southern Dad

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2017, 02:38:14 pm »
I have a dot in my car.  I use my iPhone 7 Plus for WiFi hot spot.  If I plug into CarPlay the hot spot does turn off but my car then has its WiFi hot spot active.

malliekm

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2017, 05:45:16 pm »
Connecting to your phone hotspot shouldn't affect making or receiving calls - you may find your internet connection stops for the duration of the call, but I think this depends on your phone and carrier.

You can also use a wifi 'dongle' which you can leave permanently in the car - so you don't have to remember to switch on your hotspot, and the Echo will work regardless of who is in the car (ie not dependant on your phone being present).

Regards,

Mark

Wifi dongle.  Thanks, I'll have to look into one of these.  I wonder...if Alexa can work in the car, could Google Home?
She's smarter and more entertaining.

asianrocker

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2017, 06:50:26 pm »
I don't get this. Smart phone is an all in one already for you car's needs. I honestly don't see the point of installing dot in the car. Seriously. Use google assistant instead if you are so desperate for an assistant in your car, LOL.

I actually installed an app like what carplay does it's for android, I think it's called dashboard which also makes you operate your phone hands free for everything, navigation, phone calls, text messages even read your text messages for you. I deleted it.

I actually just tested google assistant. It does open all your apps for you. Well I at least tried spotify, maps, my browser and nest app, and it did open it for me via voice. Cool.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2017, 07:57:56 pm by asianrocker »

Southern Dad

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2017, 02:06:35 pm »
In some ways you are right, asianrocker.  My iPhone can do a lot in the car.  However, with my Echo Dot, I can say "Alexa, read my flash briefing." and she starts right up.  I can tell Alexa to play me some Elton John.  I know that Siri can do many things.  I'll use her for navigation, reading messages, and such.

asianrocker

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2017, 02:26:56 pm »
My point is, people not realizing or thinking things first. They got to have the latest and greatest  always. Me, I always wait for the deal. And when echo came out. I honestly didn't see the point in it. Fortunately I have been wanting a BT speaker for a long time and honestly realized just recently echo is also a BT speaker.

Was pleasantly surprised with all the home automation perks it can do. I want to try it but I really loathe paying for anything. LOL. I want to experiment on AWS kit but I don't like that you have to pay for it. Major suckage.

I am pretty sure siri can play your elton john song via voice on your phone. I loathe anything apple so I will never know. But if I really want to find out about those tech things. Google is my BFF. Just not the GH - really it is a fail and google people should realize that. LOL.

Right about now, dot in a car is only a novelty and will always be, with those people unaware that their smartphone can do those things like freaking ages ago even before echo was launched.

Offline jwlv

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2017, 03:33:08 pm »
I still prefer using a Dot in the car. iPhone's Siri can do a lot but many times, Siri wants to show me results on the screen instead of speaking it to me. And that's the deal breaker.

malliekm

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2017, 11:52:20 pm »
asianrocker, I don't think I've agreed with anything you've said till this...
"I loathe anything apple so I will never know".  ;D ;)
Apple is against my religion  ;D

mike27oct

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2017, 12:05:02 am »
We just made a six hour drive back home yesterday. When we left the remote beach coast, we shut down the Tap, got in the car and listened to Sirius XM stations all the way with occasional breaks for local stations when we were out of the boonies.  We actually can live without our PAs for a few hours!

malliekm

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2017, 12:14:35 am »
We're real rebels!  We often go into a restaurant without our cell phones :o

jim1590

« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2017, 02:36:02 pm »

chrisarvor

« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2017, 08:55:02 am »
well done  jryka
love your car as well

does the bluetooth on the car radio let Dot work the speakers???

Offline tthoben

• Greetings from sunny Singapore!
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2017, 10:07:31 am »
there's a product called Garmin Speak, which is on offer in Amazon's Black Friday sales
check it out: https://www.amazon.com/Garmin-Speak-with-Amazon-Alexa/dp/B075H6MFCZ/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1511536023&sr=1-1&keywords=garmin+speak
Echo Dot @ SG