Echo & Alexa Forums

Absolutely helpless!

wisemanthree

Absolutely helpless!
« on: July 11, 2017, 03:39:17 pm »
I had an Amazon Echo arrive today and have done what is required - I've plugged it in, downloaded the Alexa app and followed the instructions on the screen. Alexa said that I was now connected to her, so all seemed hunky dory.

I had also purchased an Alexa voice remote, so in searching how to pair the two devices I read that you needed to go into the Alexa app, click on settings, select your device and pair with remote from there.

However when I go to settings it says that my device is offline??? I checked the light by the power pack and it's white which apparently means it is connected to the internet!

When I select on my device, despite it being apparently offline, it goes to the next screen where the option to connect to a remote is greyed out and the only thing I can select is 'update your wifi'. I clicked on this and it just put me through the whole set up routine for connecting your wifi to the echo. Even though I have done this SEVERAL times now it still says that the echo is "offline", despite the fact I have asked for the news, weather etc and Alexa has answered!

..... Help!?!?!?!?! I need to be able to connect my remote to the echo but I'm not going to be able to if it just says that it is offline.

strayfish

Re: Absolutely helpless!
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2017, 06:06:52 pm »
So I get to go first with this - unplug [UNPLUG] your Echo and leave it unplugged for at least 5 minutes then plug it back in again. There's every chance it'll have straightened itself out and you'll be able to connect your remote. Wiser folk than I generally give this advice and it almost always works. If it doesn't those folk will pop their heads round the door and offer some follow-up ideas. Good luck :)