Echo & Alexa Forums

which dot is which

ptlycldy

which dot is which
« on: July 06, 2017, 08:51:06 pm »
I have 5 dots, each with a unique name.  However I 've mixed them up; that is "kitchen dot" might be in the bedroom.  Is there a simple way to tell them apart?  For example: "alexa, what is you device name?"

Thanks in advance
Ptlycldy

malliekm

Re: which dot is which
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2017, 01:33:05 am »
Each device will have a unique MAC address.
In the Alexa app go to Settings/choose the device/and scroll all the way to the bottom for the MAC address.
Hope that helps.

mike27oct

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2017, 04:24:51 am »
Perhaps you had set your Dots to be able to call one another; ask kitchen to call family room, etc.  If so, here is an easier way:

Ask any Dot to call family room and one will answer -- that's the family room, unless the one you asked to make the call says it is the family room and can only call other devices.  The one asked to make the call is the family room.  Continue the process for all the Dots for un-found rooms.

When I tried this, and asked to call the dining room, I got a reply that it was unavailable.  It worked to answer questions, etc, app showed it was online, so what was up?  I just unplugged the dining room Dot for five minutes and when it came back on it would answer again.  This is a good test for people with many Dots to check things out!

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2017, 04:29:45 am »
go to the settings, note each dot will say online, just unplug them one at a time and see which one go offline.   

mike27oct

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2017, 04:35:59 am »
Except in a case like I mentioned above when it said online but it wasn't.  Other than this, it also sounds like a good idea for discovering them.

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2017, 05:26:27 am »
Except in a case like I mentioned above when it said online but it wasn't.  Other than this, it also sounds like a good idea for discovering them.

sorry, but I was responding to the original post - not yours.

Alpha Bitch

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2017, 11:19:27 am »
I have 5 dots, each with a unique name.  However I 've mixed them up; that is "kitchen dot" might be in the bedroom.  Is there a simple way to tell them apart?  For example: "alexa, what is you device name?"

Thanks in advance
Ptlycldy
One of my neighbors has multiple DOTS throughout the home.  He named & color labeled/coded each one.