Echo & Alexa User Discussions and Support Forums

When a person is not breathing, permanent brain damage begins after 4 minutes and death in 6 minutes after that. Can you count on help arriving before that time? Learning proper CPR techniques is easy and you can learn it in 30 minutes at CPR Test Center.

Absolutely helpless!

Absolutely helpless!
« on: July 11, 2017, 03:39:17 pm »
I had an Amazon Echo arrive today and have done what is required - I've plugged it in, downloaded the Alexa app and followed the instructions on the screen. Alexa said that I was now connected to her, so all seemed hunky dory.

I had also purchased an Alexa voice remote, so in searching how to pair the two devices I read that you needed to go into the Alexa app, click on settings, select your device and pair with remote from there.

However when I go to settings it says that my device is offline??? I checked the light by the power pack and it's white which apparently means it is connected to the internet!

When I select on my device, despite it being apparently offline, it goes to the next screen where the option to connect to a remote is greyed out and the only thing I can select is 'update your wifi'. I clicked on this and it just put me through the whole set up routine for connecting your wifi to the echo. Even though I have done this SEVERAL times now it still says that the echo is "offline", despite the fact I have asked for the news, weather etc and Alexa has answered!

..... Help!?!?!?!?! I need to be able to connect my remote to the echo but I'm not going to be able to if it just says that it is offline.

Re: Absolutely helpless!
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2017, 06:06:52 pm »
So I get to go first with this - unplug [UNPLUG] your Echo and leave it unplugged for at least 5 minutes then plug it back in again. There's every chance it'll have straightened itself out and you'll be able to connect your remote. Wiser folk than I generally give this advice and it almost always works. If it doesn't those folk will pop their heads round the door and offer some follow-up ideas. Good luck :)