Echo & Alexa Forums

Audio and Alarm Synchronization - WHEN???

dsabine

Audio and Alarm Synchronization - WHEN???
« on: July 11, 2017, 12:26:06 pm »
To start with, yes I've already ready the article that audio synchronization is/was supposed to be coming but WT???

http://www.aftvnews.com/audio-synchronization-coming-to-the-amazon-echo-and-echo-dot-for-whole-home-audio-support/

That article was posted March 4, 2017. I can understand that there could be latency issues if playing music or other forms of audio alarms should be EASY. I have the original Echo Tower and now a Show but I won't purchase additional devices until synchronization of some sort is working.

It's ridiculous that if I set an alarm in one part of my house that I have to have the volume so loud as to be able to hear it in EVERY PART of my house because alarms don't sync. My other choice is to set alarms on multiple devices so I don't miss a reminder or alarm but then I have to cancel the alarm on ALL OF THOSE DEVICES. This is just STUPID!

The Echo is talking to the AWS (Amazon Web Services) when I tell it to set an alarm. Why is it that when I set an alarm, AWS can't send a message to each device on my network (or devices that I predetermine in the app or online) to also go off when I set the alarm from one device. There shouldn't be an issue with latency in this case because we would be talking seconds when I say, "Alexa Stop". The message could then be sent in reverse to stop the alarm on all devices for that particular alarm.

Now when talking about music or other audio. I personally would be happy with some latency here. AWS knows what's playing on one device and why it can't send that to devices I've determined it should play on or all devices on my network is crazy. If I'm working from home and I have a dot playing SiriusXM and I go to another room, I should be able to tell Alexa, "Alexa, EXTEND my SiriusXM stream to ALL ECHOS in house" or "Alexa, EXTEND my SiriusXM stream to the LIVING ROOM or KITCHEN", etc...

Come Jeff Bezos, what's going on here. I love my Same Day and one and two hour deliveries but I'm drawing a line in the sand here. At what point do I give up on Alexa and goto Google Home and Google Home Audio 100% which does have Audio Syncing and stick to you for my egg timer?

Last statement on my soapbox, Alexa show can't CAST to my FireStick???? Huh!!??? Wouldn't it be nice to have my show which is in my living room sitting under my wall mounted plasma to use the show's camera and the 65" as my video display when talking to Mom and Dad?

malliekm

Re: Audio and Alarm Synchronization - WHEN???
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2017, 01:56:20 pm »
dsabine, wait no longer!  You can buy a Google Home AND a Chromecast bundle for $100 on ebay thru Google.  If you don't need the Chromecast, you can buy a GH anywhere right now for $100.  I do love my Dots (3 of them) but GH, for my needs, is the clear choice.  And I love the audio syncing...and the fact that she can tell me the current humidity and Alexa can't  :o  :D

PhiTauBill

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2017, 09:33:09 am »
It really is the holy grail at this point and should be relatively easy to implement (although I know it took other manufacturers some time in order to perfect).  I think it has to be high on the priority list for them even if it isn't necessarily a revenue driver beyond additional unit sales.

alienlife orm

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2017, 02:55:06 pm »
Some of us don't view these as desirable.

PhiTauBill

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2017, 03:01:43 pm »
Audio and Alarm Synchronization are not desirable or Amazon Echo's in general?

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2017, 09:29:21 pm »
This is one of those areas that some people just don't care about, and others care deeply about. I do think it should be optional simply because of the polar arguments we see related to the possible feature. I don't see me playing my music "whole house" or "multi-room" much ever... but can certainly agree with those who want to, that this SHOULD be possible and a standard feature available to those who want to use it. Default should be set to off and each account should be adjustable per room or home, much like the Phillips Hue lighting... I can operate them at 3 levels 1) individually 2) per room 3) whole house at once. All levels can be "on/Off" , but I can only Dim Level 1 and Level 2. Whole house will come on at the last set brightness level.
2 Echo Dots 2nd gen
2 echo dots gen 3 (no clock) -2 Echo Dot 3rd gen with Clock
1 echo dot Gen 4 with clock
1 Echo Spot
4 10" Fire Tablets
1 15' Echo show
23 Hue Lights 1 Hue bridge - 1 Amazon Smart plug outlet
One Ring Doorbell Pro
4 cell phones with Alexa app installed!
You should see My Apple Device List!

smithsrus

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2017, 01:36:37 pm »
I just bought my 2nd dot on Prime Day, with the intention to put the 2nd one upstairs and be able to play synced music both upstairs and downstairs while I'm cleaning house. Seems like this would be a basic functionality and I'm pretty irritated that Amazon hasn't included it.  >:(

jim1590

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2017, 09:56:27 am »
Some of us do not view the google home as desirable and wonder why every other thread (it seems) has some sort of plug for one put in on a webpage called "echotalk" in a "Amazon Echo Discussion" category. Take it to the Google Home category.

Just sayin'

malliekm

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2017, 01:49:52 pm »
Jim, I'm sincerely interested in what it is about GH that YOU don't find desirable as an AI/personal assistant.   I love my 3 Echo Dots.  A year ago (or even less) I would say that Echo was the superior AI (for MY needs) but now there is very little that Echo can do that GH can't.  The one major thing (again, for my needs) that GH can't do is read from it's own calendar unless it's the main calendar under the same account you're signed in with.  Alexa can read my emails and text but not natively.  It uses a Skill.  GH is far more useful for questions and and it can tell me the current humidity (yeah, I'm stuck on that  ;D ). She hears and understands better.   As far as I know, GH can't track packages.

jim1590

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2017, 09:17:13 am »
Jim, I'm sincerely interested in what it is about GH that YOU don't find desirable as an AI/personal assistant.  

Simply put I am more of a Amazon fanboy than Google. How many iphone users ditch their iPhone whatever and switch to android? Some but not many. I started my AI/ personal assistant search last Christmas. I never used ask google on my phone, I do not apple so no use for Siri and Cortana on my PC's are more of a pain than not. I use Alexa to play music and to turn lights on and off. Simple things like timers and reminders as well. Asking her questions is more of a party trick for me. I just got into the mastermind beta and will probably be using that a lot more in my cars dot.

GH was too late to the game to capture me. I do not like the form factor / size / price point. I have 3 echo dots. 1 for the kitchen / living room, 1 for the master bedroom and 1 for the car. I will be probably adding up to 3 more. 

I use bing for a search engine. I do not care for Ray Kurzweil. My TV streamers are Rokus (no FireTVs anywhere in my house) and each of my kids have a Kindle Fire tablet. Really, my reasons are varied and mine. I am not saying that it is a bad product, just that it is not for me.

But it seems that half the posts here are about a product that 90% of us do not own and have no intention of owning. How many new people come here, post a question, read through the forum and say "Damn, maybe I bought the wrong device."

There is a section for the GH. I have read some in there to. I liked the skill hack for Ask Google on the echo. But the constant plugging of "Alexa cannot do that, but GH can!" is essentially the same as me asking a brake job question on a Dodge SUV forum and being told that the Honda Civic is much easier to do the work on.

Maybe it is just me that sees this whole thing as childish schoolyard "My ball is better than your ball." But I am willing to bet that there are others that have felt the same.

So, rant is now off, I am off my soap box and I will keep returning to read the threads as I learn more things that Alexa can do.

asianrocker

« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2017, 02:59:22 pm »
Some of us do not view the google home as desirable and wonder why every other thread (it seems) has some sort of plug for one put in on a webpage called "echotalk" in a "Amazon Echo Discussion" category. Take it to the Google Home category.

Just sayin'

LOL. I think it's common. In my phone's forum I go to. There are a lot of them that is telling us to buy a certain phone coz it can be rooted. Even though people kept reminding them it is not that phone's forum they don't care.

Still, they can't fathom why I said I don't need GH coz goggle assistant is way better. I came late in echo ownership game for same reason. But I really want a BT speaker.

And yes I am gonna parrot it again. I got it for prime day sale price even though I had it for almost a month. LOL!
« Last Edit: August 02, 2017, 03:03:57 pm by asianrocker »

malliekm

« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2017, 12:39:25 am »
Jim, I'm sincerely interested in what it is about GH that YOU don't find desirable as an AI/personal assistant.  

Simply put I am more of a Amazon fanboy than Google. How many iphone users ditch their iPhone whatever and switch to android? Some but not many. I started my AI/ personal assistant search last Christmas. I never used ask google on my phone, I do not apple so no use for Siri and Cortana on my PC's are more of a pain than not. I use Alexa to play music and to turn lights on and off. Simple things like timers and reminders as well. Asking her questions is more of a party trick for me. I just got into the mastermind beta and will probably be using that a lot more in my cars dot.

GH was too late to the game to capture me. I do not like the form factor / size / price point. I have 3 echo dots. 1 for the kitchen / living room, 1 for the master bedroom and 1 for the car. I will be probably adding up to 3 more. 

I use bing for a search engine. I do not care for Ray Kurzweil. My TV streamers are Rokus (no FireTVs anywhere in my house) and each of my kids have a Kindle Fire tablet. Really, my reasons are varied and mine. I am not saying that it is a bad product, just that it is not for me.

But it seems that half the posts here are about a product that 90% of us do not own and have no intention of owning. How many new people come here, post a question, read through the forum and say "Damn, maybe I bought the wrong device."

There is a section for the GH. I have read some in there to. I liked the skill hack for Ask Google on the echo. But the constant plugging of "Alexa cannot do that, but GH can!" is essentially the same as me asking a brake job question on a Dodge SUV forum and being told that the Honda Civic is much easier to do the work on.

Maybe it is just me that sees this whole thing as childish schoolyard "My ball is better than your ball." But I am willing to bet that there are others that have felt the same.

So, rant is now off, I am off my soap box and I will keep returning to read the threads as I learn more things that Alexa can do.

Ohhh, being an avid reader of many Android forums, lots and LOTS of Apple phone fans have seen the light and gone Android.  Some were sorry they did, but most say they'll never go back. 

Like you, my first encounter with AIs was during last Christmas.  I acquired 3 Dots during that time.  And during that time Alexa ruled.  Many feel she still does.  I now own 2 Google Homes.  All 5 AIs have a place in this home but I prefer Google since she can do everything (that I need) that Alexa can and more.  Plus she sounds better for music.

I don't know Ray Kurzweil.  I just asked GH "who is Ray Kurzweil?". An author, inventor, computer scientist and futurist. He's invented OCR and the image scanner.  GH was unable to tell me if he was associated with Google.  I may not have asked correctly.

I think someone who hasn't entered the AI world yet or is new and looking for info/advice might very well be interested in reading about GH and what someone who has both, think.  But if the owner of the forum would rather I didn't mention GH in any forum other than the GH forum, I will comply :)  I don't work for Google in any way shape or form so I'm not plugging GH.  I'm simply offering both sides of the AI table so others can make a more informed decision.  I know when I'm researching a product, I would be grateful to hear from both sides (two competing products).  I LOVE my Echo Dots and have said so many times!  It's progress, competition, capitalism.  The winner is the consumer.  May the best AI win.  To me, right now, that's GH by a hair. IF THEY EVER TURN ON THE CALLING FEATURE and it works better than Dot to Dot calling, that will be the cat's meow  ;D

Well I hope it's just you because playing "my ball is bigger than yours" is the last thing I'm thinking.  I know you didn't mention me by name, but the shoe fit so... ;)

« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2017, 07:55:30 am »
Since we're kinda talking about things that are related but not important... LOL (Juts be a smartazz)...

Calling seems to be the big killer app that's failing on these AI units... I'm gonna tell you guys something that no one wants to hear, because Apple seems to be less liked than Android stuff... and even Windows PC's... I don't know many who dislike Apple products that have used them in the last 10 years or so... but I do remember hating their operating systems back in the nineties... so I completely understand the whole argument from both sides like Monica does... It's really related to exposure to the products and opportunity to compare, and then mix in a little bit of "what works for me" with that and everyone has the same possible happiness... just with different items.

I digress...

The point I am about to throw into the conversation is one that may "make" or "break" the whole AI thing... may not - But the Calling by voice thing may be a Complete and utter permanent reality soon, when Apple releases it's AI speaker thingy... The "Killer App" that all of the AI's are failing us on. The only reason I say that, is the way Apple has integrated it's iPhones into their operating systems on Phone, iPad, and Mac computers, in a little concept called Hand-off, that allows a computer (like the one I am using while writing this) to take and make phone calls when the phone and computer are in proximity of one another. This extends even to the Apple Watch as well... EVERYTHING they offer with an OS everything within the last 2 or 3 years that has updated OS software... If they can figure out the security of it without having to enable some other skill or app... other than their native stuff... This may be when I dump Alexa. or give all of mine away to family members... (maybe not, as I have so many of 'em)... The music is said to be impeccable, and if the Phone thing occurs seamlessly as I hope it does... Voice command phone calls done the right way may be coming in January or whenever the Home Pod is available for everyone... "Hey Siri!" <LOL>
2 Echo Dots 2nd gen
2 echo dots gen 3 (no clock) -2 Echo Dot 3rd gen with Clock
1 echo dot Gen 4 with clock
1 Echo Spot
4 10" Fire Tablets
1 15' Echo show
23 Hue Lights 1 Hue bridge - 1 Amazon Smart plug outlet
One Ring Doorbell Pro
4 cell phones with Alexa app installed!
You should see My Apple Device List!

jim1590

« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2017, 08:36:43 am »
I don't know Ray Kurzweil.  I just asked GH "who is Ray Kurzweil?". An author, inventor, computer scientist and futurist. He's invented OCR and the image scanner.  GH was unable to tell me if he was associated with Google.  I may not have asked correctly.

It is funny that GH did not know who he is. He could arguably be called one of the fathers of GH's AI
https://www.wired.com/2013/04/kurzweil-google-ai/

What I do not care for with him is his desire to go racing to machine self-awareness and conciousness. I think his current timeframe is somewhere around 2045 in what would be called the Singularity. Think Skynet kind of awake vs what we have now with a power switch if it gets too big for its britches.

I once watched an interview with him where he was asked what is stopping Google from doing evil things with the technology it is advancing and the AI word coupled with the data collections. He answered that there is no oversite, just the culture at Google would never let that happen. He openly stated that Google has the means, know-how and ability to topple world powers, just that the current employees would not let that happen.

I think that tech advancement is a good thing. I think nanomachines will be a great step forward, I think interstellar flight will become a reachable goal. I just do not think that mankind is ready for the merging (biologically speaking) of AI and our minds / bodies. I do not think we would ever be ready as this would require a surrendering of a small part of self to an AI.

I really do think though that the big reason I do not care for the man is his non-belief in a god. Now do not get me wrong, I respect atheists and agnostics. But he often states about the possibility of a divine intellegence: "Does God exist? I would say, 'Not yet.'" This to me is too much of him saying that mankind will create this god and coming from him it would be an AI one. Thus he is pushing for the creation of a all-powerful AI.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GszOhDkvm9s

Tin-foil hat theory? Probably, but this guy does work for Google doing just that.

As for the rest, I previously yielded the soapbox and have no desire to get back onto it at this time.

malliekm

« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2017, 12:06:29 pm »
scottrods, the only reason I'm waiting semi-patiently vs not patiently at all for GH's calling features is I'm hoping they are perfecting the technology, unlike someone else did :o  But I still won't jump to the Home Pod if not.  If for no other reason, the PRICE!