Echo & Alexa Forums

Echo Show not ready for Prime time

Laurel

Re: Echo Show not ready for Prime time
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2017, 12:27:47 am »
iolinux333 that was interesting.  I love knobs and buttons lol.  I really missed my little transistor radio from days of yore and found a cool one on Amazon.  I am the proud owner of the Blackerry Keyone (latest android phone with a keyboard from TCL). Too much swiping on the slabs for me. lol

malliekm

« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2017, 01:13:58 am »
I had no idea Mid Century Modern was a thing.

Oh it's a BIG BIG thing!

malliekm

« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2017, 01:15:53 am »
I really like the mid century modern look of the Echo Show.  I'm very tired of all the modern cylinder speakers etc.  So far I love my echo show for the purposes we use it for.  No complaints really thus far other than the scrolling comments on the screen.  I'm sure they will axe that soon.

but you cannot hang it on the wall.  something that big is taking up counter/table space.  It should be more like a tablet, maybe thicker but something that can be hung on a wall and look like it belong there.

Dear Mr forum owner,  PLEASE give us a "like" button :) 

mike27oct

« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2017, 04:31:26 am »
>>>  iPhone is MCM.

What the heck is this comment supposed to mean!

malliekm

« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2017, 07:08:07 am »
Oh good, I'm glad somebody asked!  :o

Laurel

« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2017, 05:07:04 pm »
MCM=Mid Century Modern

malliekm

« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2017, 06:14:57 pm »
Yes, we realize what MCM is.  We just don't understand how the iphone relates to MCM.  I'm guessing you're referring to the design but I still don't get it.

« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2017, 06:55:57 pm »
mcm also means "man crush monday."   don't believe me, look it up.  so in a sense,  the person has a man crush on their iphone.    they think their phone is a sexy beast.    I think they just need to get a life  :-)

mike27oct

« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2017, 01:00:33 am »
Still talking about what the Show looks like . . . Ever been in a restaurant that has what looks like an 8" monitor on the table with a large footprint that also reduces the eating area?  It's for paying the bill at the table w/CC, and/or letting the kids play video games (for a charge, of course).

The Show is the spitting image of this monstrosity.

I have often though about elbowing the darn gadget off the restaurant table to gain more space and stop that infernal screen from streaming ads at me, and just say to waitress: "Oops, sorry about that". Instead, I just turn it toward next table. Local Red Robin has them on every table.

malliekm

« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2017, 01:49:52 am »
Totally dislike those things!  The ones around here look more like a small monitor on a stand.  I push them to the end of the table or, at Chili's, place it on the pony wall or windowsill.  We will order dessert and/or pay the bill with it tho.

« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2017, 03:03:12 am »
do you have to tip if you use them  :-)

malliekm

« Reply #26 on: July 08, 2017, 03:27:01 am »
I don't know if you HAVE to but we do :)

mike27oct

« Reply #27 on: July 08, 2017, 04:38:47 am »
Yep, that photo "displays" what I was referring to.  Looks like Show's big brother.

« Reply #28 on: July 08, 2017, 03:15:17 pm »
I quit going to chilis when they put those *kiosks* to use... They quit doing the service job (which was half or more of my reason for the outing in the first place). Then they didn't exactly reduce the prices to reflect that you're doing some of their job for them. The only convenience I see is for the restaurant having to do less work for the money they continue to charge. The wages likely didn't go up either. AND, I witnessed a friend paying with one once and they had a tip calculator on them that inflated reality to make you feel like you weren't tipping enough... showing a 15% tip was a dollar amount that was much higher than 20%... (Yes, I will still eat there if someone insists we meet them there for dinner, but I usually offer up an alternative, if they are open to something different)

I went a few times after they implemented the "do it yourself" payment "option", but they started pretty much forcing the use of them. I would walk in and ask them to remove it once seated. I told them if they wanted a tip they'd do the work, not me.

That crap is the epitome of "milking everything you can from the customer" in my opinion. It shows a complete lack of desire to serve the customer.
2 Echo Dots 2nd gen
2 echo dots gen 3 (no clock) -2 Echo Dot 3rd gen with Clock
1 echo dot Gen 4 with clock
1 Echo Spot
4 10" Fire Tablets
1 15' Echo show
23 Hue Lights 1 Hue bridge - 1 Amazon Smart plug outlet
One Ring Doorbell Pro
4 cell phones with Alexa app installed!
You should see My Apple Device List!

« Reply #29 on: July 08, 2017, 04:02:06 pm »
I quit going to chilis when they put those *kiosks* to use... They quit doing the service job (which was half or more of my reason for the outing in the first place). Then they didn't exactly reduce the prices to reflect that you're doing some of their job for them. The only convenience I see is for the restaurant having to do less work for the money they continue to charge. The wages likely didn't go up either. AND, I witnessed a friend paying with one once and they had a tip calculator on them that inflated reality to make you feel like you weren't tipping enough... showing a 15% tip was a dollar amount that was much higher than 20%... (Yes, I will still eat there if someone insists we meet them there for dinner, but I usually offer up an alternative, if they are open to something different)

I went a few times after they implemented the "do it yourself" payment "option", but they started pretty much forcing the use of them. I would walk in and ask them to remove it once seated. I told them if they wanted a tip they'd do the work, not me.

That crap is the epitome of "milking everything you can from the customer" in my opinion. It shows a complete lack of desire to serve the customer.

too many servers are using skimmers these days (in my area) so I may want to at least use the kiosks to pay for my meal.