Echo & Alexa Forums

Echo Show not ready for Prime time

k9kids

Echo Show not ready for Prime time
« on: July 05, 2017, 08:53:26 am »
Returning my Echo Show today.

I'll keep an eye on it as it progresses, but right now there are things I don't like about it.
-Viewing angle
-Obnoxious scrolling suggestions etc...
-Just not convenient to use

joshsimpson79

Re: Echo Show not ready for Prime time
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2017, 09:24:49 am »
I don't have one, but Amazon seems fairly receptive to feedback on these products.  Maybe some updates could at least improve some of it.

I would probably buy one if they were considerably cheaper, but I'm not itching for one.

AlanH

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2017, 05:32:32 pm »
I'm undecided about buying one when Show becomes available in the UK. Price might be an issue, but I also have doubts about the styling - it looks like a product of the 80's.

mike27oct

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2017, 05:48:53 pm »
Instead of buying a Show, take the money you'd spend on one and put it toward a tried and true decent tablet if you don't have one.  Then use Skype or FaceTime  to face-to-face with people.

k9kids

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2017, 05:54:14 pm »
Reminded me of an old Sony rear projection TV I once had. State of the art back then.  :D

malliekm

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2017, 06:04:51 pm »
I don't care for the looks either.  Like that dumb Vobot thing that looks like it dates back to the PacMan era.  I'm good till the next best thing comes along.  Echo Show isn't it (in my book).

mike27oct

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2017, 08:21:18 pm »
Yea, and as soon as the teenagers discover that mom and dad can spy on them from afar, it will get uplugged by the kids, asap.

k9kids

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2017, 09:04:16 pm »
Yea, and as soon as the teenagers discover that mom and dad can spy on them from afar, it will get uplugged by the kids, asap.

It's not even a very good spy device unless you're sitting right in front of it. The angle of the camera is meant for a video call. Other than that the angle is too high.

Beetle-Snake

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2017, 06:53:32 am »
I wonder if this version of Show will ever see life outside of the US - the lack of adjustable angle seems to be a big issue and could be an essential upgrade for version 2, assuming that is they decide to go ahead with another version. Personally I still think the idea was pointless and does very little you cant already do or could do on an Echo or Dot with beter integration with Fire TV boxes and sticks. The whole concept seems to be about pushing an alternative to Face-Time or Skype which is a battle I don't think Amazon are ready to win or one we need.

iolinux333

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2017, 09:47:44 am »
The obnoxious scrolling suggestion thing must go. I don't have a Show, but I do have an old Android tablet next to my Echo with the Alexa app open continuously next to it. The obnoxious scrolling thing eats up so much of the screen it's horrible.

I feel like the Echo was made by engineers, but as soon as it was a hit, all the evil middle managers from everywhere else at Amazon swooped in to spread their slime and inject their poison.

Laurel

« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2017, 12:17:35 pm »
I really like the mid century modern look of the Echo Show.  I'm very tired of all the modern cylinder speakers etc.  So far I love my echo show for the purposes we use it for.  No complaints really thus far other than the scrolling comments on the screen.  I'm sure they will axe that soon.

malliekm

« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2017, 03:28:35 pm »
Well that must be my problem!  I am SO not a fan of MCM  ;D

AlanH

« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2017, 03:41:05 pm »
I had no idea Mid Century Modern was a thing.

« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2017, 03:59:19 pm »
I really like the mid century modern look of the Echo Show.  I'm very tired of all the modern cylinder speakers etc.  So far I love my echo show for the purposes we use it for.  No complaints really thus far other than the scrolling comments on the screen.  I'm sure they will axe that soon.

but you cannot hang it on the wall.  something that big is taking up counter/table space.  It should be more like a tablet, maybe thicker but something that can be hung on a wall and look like it belong there. 

iolinux333

« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2017, 07:20:42 pm »
I had no idea Mid Century Modern was a thing.

iPhone is MCM.  Started in Germany 1930s.  The war killed it for a while.

After the war was picked up in again in Scandinavia.

Died in the 80s because it looked dated.

Ives brought it back once more.

What's old is new again.

It won't last forever.

At some point we'll have the return of knobs and buttons.

It will be hailed as revolutionary.

lol
« Last Edit: July 06, 2017, 07:28:28 pm by iolinux333 »