Echo & Alexa Forums

The conversation icon isn't present in Alexa app

NancySue2

Re: The conversation icon isn't present in Alexa app
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2017, 07:48:01 pm »
This problem is absolutely infuriating to me. I have both an iPhone and an iPad.  The icon is present on my iPhone and not on my iPad. My father has an iPad but only has a cheap flip phone. He barely knows how to use the iPad but I got him the Alexa so he could communicate with other Alexa  users in my family but now he can't get this stupid icon on the iPad and he can't communicate with any of us.

Didn't we decide that not only does the device have to have WIFI, some won't load that version unless it has cellular capabilities as well? Does your iPad have Cellular?

Yes. I know that now but it is no less infuriating. He does have wifi just not a phone attached.

*I* have an iphone attached to my iPad and I can't get the icon on my ipad either. It's only on my iPhone. Still annoying.

scottfaith

« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2017, 06:37:13 pm »
I have the exact same problem as NancySue2. My dad has an non-cellular ipad and a flip phone. No way to activate calling as best as I can tell.

iolinux333

« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2017, 07:44:25 pm »
Too bad it can't be used as a Bluetooth Speakerphone like the Google.

wookienow

Re: The conversation icon isn't present in Alexa app - Possibly Solved
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2017, 06:13:48 pm »
Not sure if this helps.
I have multiple echo devices around my house on different Amazon accounts.
Account 1: I have a "Show", "Dot", "Wand"
Account 2: "2 * Dots"

Using the same app on my phone logging in on different accounts.
Account 1: I see the icon and can use Drop In etc
Account 2: I can;t see the icon.

I don't think it's app specific it must be something else. It is doing my head in trying to figure it out.

I am using from Australia so not sure if it has to do with where the account was created? Account 1 was created years a go. The others are only new.

SOLVED MY OWN ISSUE: Hope this helps someone else.
MY assumptions/solution

I found that if I created an Amazon account separate to the one that purchased the device from the Alexa app it did not  link this account to a physical location. As some of the features are geo based and it did not have an address associated with the account some features were missing.

If I logged into the Amazon account www.amazon.com added a US based address to the account "Manage Your Content and Devices" Section. Not a postal address. When I logged back into the Alexa app the conversation icon appeared.

Hope this helps someone else.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2017, 06:20:29 pm by wookienow »

RGiskard

Re: The conversation icon isn't present in Alexa app - Possibly Solved
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2017, 10:59:27 pm »
Not sure if this helps.
I have multiple echo devices around my house on different Amazon accounts.
Account 1: I have a "Show", "Dot", "Wand"
Account 2: "2 * Dots"

Using the same app on my phone logging in on different accounts.
Account 1: I see the icon and can use Drop In etc
Account 2: I can;t see the icon.

I don't think it's app specific it must be something else. It is doing my head in trying to figure it out.

I am using from Australia so not sure if it has to do with where the account was created? Account 1 was created years a go. The others are only new.

SOLVED MY OWN ISSUE: Hope this helps someone else.
MY assumptions/solution

I found that if I created an Amazon account separate to the one that purchased the device from the Alexa app it did not  link this account to a physical location. As some of the features are geo based and it did not have an address associated with the account some features were missing.

If I logged into the Amazon account www.amazon.com added a US based address to the account "Manage Your Content and Devices" Section. Not a postal address. When I logged back into the Alexa app the conversation icon appeared.

Hope this helps someone else.

This is how you do it.

« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2017, 10:10:37 am »
So... If I understand this right... You give it a US "time zone" and the icon appears?
2 Echo Dots 2nd gen
2 echo dots gen 3 (no clock) -2 Echo Dot 3rd gen with Clock
1 echo dot Gen 4 with clock
1 Echo Spot
4 10" Fire Tablets
1 15' Echo show
23 Hue Lights 1 Hue bridge - 1 Amazon Smart plug outlet
One Ring Doorbell Pro
4 cell phones with Alexa app installed!
You should see My Apple Device List!

brite_lite54

« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2018, 09:29:41 am »
I discovered that the Alexa App on my iPad Pro does not have a Conversation icon.  However, I do have a Conversation icon on the Alexa App on my iPhone.  So I set up messages through my iPhone, instead of my iPad Pro.  Hope that helps.

--brite_lite54

I'd like to check out the calling features of the Echo but I don't have the conversation icon. I have been updating my Alexa app, most recently yesterday. I look on the home screen between the house and the equalizer but there is no conversation icon there. Is there something I need to do to turn on the conversation icon? TIA.

Kelly

Alexa in Canada

« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2018, 10:10:49 am »
This problem is absolutely infuriating to me. I have both an iPhone and an iPad.  The icon is present on my iPhone and not on my iPad. My father has an iPad but only has a cheap flip phone. He barely knows how to use the iPad but I got him the Alexa so he could communicate with other Alexa  users in my family but now he can't get this stupid icon on the iPad and he can't communicate with any of us.

I had a long talk with Amazon support yesterday, after talking to a few people it became clear that they do not support a number of features on the iPad app that are involved with phoning someone. That includes, Conversation, Drop In and even Your Voice training. These are only supported on phone apps like iPhone or Android. Their logic is that iPads do not have phone numbers associated with them. I explained that this was not logical since I use my iPad to set up lots of other systems involving phone numbers, but they did not want to hear it.

I also agree that this is confusing and frustrating, but that is the way it is for now.

« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2018, 07:39:47 pm »
Their logic is that iPads do not have phone numbers associated with them.

I have a New iPad that has it's own phone number... so I call Bullshit too. The cellular ones require their own phone number to be activated and used with LTE service.
2 Echo Dots 2nd gen
2 echo dots gen 3 (no clock) -2 Echo Dot 3rd gen with Clock
1 echo dot Gen 4 with clock
1 Echo Spot
4 10" Fire Tablets
1 15' Echo show
23 Hue Lights 1 Hue bridge - 1 Amazon Smart plug outlet
One Ring Doorbell Pro
4 cell phones with Alexa app installed!
You should see My Apple Device List!

awesomeboy1234567822

« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2018, 08:44:12 am »
How do I update the Alexa app

karioca

« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2018, 02:12:42 pm »
I have one Echo, 2 or 3 Dots, and 3 Shows.  I have wanted to do the Drop In for some time, but couldn't find the Conversation Icon either.  Last night I was on Amazon reading instructions.  I answered the survey at the bottom - "did this help, yes or no."  I was able to leave a brief note and I got an email reply.  So, today I used the Live Chat link from the email, and I had a great Chat with someone.  I told him my problem (I first write it in Word and copy & paste.  Gives me time to write a long message initially.)  I have a Samsung Note 3 using Android 5.0 and a version of Alexa app that is at least one year old.  He had me UNINSTALL & INSTALL THE ALEXA APP.  Bingo!  That worked.  I now have the BOTTOM MENU that includes the CONVERSATION ICON.  From there I was able to ENABLE the DROP IN feature and I got all of my devices to Drop In.  I may need to rename my devices though.  They still have the default names given to them.  I think a unique name will make it easier to remember which one is which.  I hope this helps someone else who hasn't been able to find the CONVERSATION ICON.  I'm waiting for my daughters to set up their Echos so we can call & message too.  (I have a few Fire devices too, but I haven't even tried them with Alexa much yet.  So far, Alexa works well with my Phillips Hue lights.  Alexa is a lot of fun, and she doesn't eat much!)
« Last Edit: March 31, 2018, 02:24:16 pm by karioca »

millionlafs

« Reply #26 on: November 17, 2019, 01:41:43 pm »
On my Galaxy 9 Plus, I had to uninstall the app and then reinstall it.  It is there now.  :)

Dave.S

« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2020, 02:59:19 pm »
I found this thread, searching for why I didn't have the "Communicate" icon in my Alexa app, on my iPhone 8 Plus, with iOS 13.6.1.

I too uninstalled and reinstalled the Alexa app and this corrected my issue.

Dave