Echo & Alexa Forums

The conversation icon isn't present in Alexa app

Kellstr

The conversation icon isn't present in Alexa app
« on: July 05, 2017, 07:56:09 am »
I'd like to check out the calling features of the Echo but I don't have the conversation icon. I have been updating my Alexa app, most recently yesterday. I look on the home screen between the house and the equalizer but there is no conversation icon there. Is there something I need to do to turn on the conversation icon? TIA.

Kelly

Re: The conversation icon isn't present in Alexa app
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2017, 08:31:14 am »
If your not logged in with a US account you'll not see it.

Kellstr

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2017, 08:46:41 am »
I will check that but everything in my account should point to North Carolina. I've never shipped or billed to an address outside the US.

TalismanUK

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2017, 12:33:39 pm »
I'd like to check out the calling features of the Echo but I don't have the conversation icon. I have been updating my Alexa app, most recently yesterday. I look on the home screen between the house and the equalizer but there is no conversation icon there. Is there something I need to do to turn on the conversation icon? TIA.

Kelly

I had this problem today and spent an entertaining 15 minutes with customer service as a result.

The first thing you need to check is your Android or IOS version. You will only see the conversation icon if you have Android 5 or IOS 9, or higher - something Amazon does not mention in  their "help" section.

Their suggestion was to set it up through someone else's phone to which I more or less politely replied with an "I don't think so!"
« Last Edit: July 05, 2017, 12:36:46 pm by TalismanUK »

Jamesroche1982

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2017, 06:00:37 pm »
I just spent over an hour with tech support. With through 2 people. No luck. That icon is supposed to be between the home button and the equalizer icon. Mines not there.

pharmer5

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2017, 02:49:04 pm »
I had the same issue and contacted Amazon and found out that the conversation icon is not in the ipad version of the app.  I opened up the Alexa app on my phone and it was there.
Hope this helps.

jweinel

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2017, 12:20:18 pm »
No conversation icon for me either when I tried to setup the drop-in feature a couple of weeks ago on my Samsung Galaxy Note Pro tablet. I had tried various suggestions on this and other forums and finally found a comment somewhere that calling features can only be set up from the Alexa app installed on a "phone". So I installed the app on my Samsung smartphone, and there was the offer to setup calling and the conversation icon. My Note Pro is activated on Verizon LTE for data but of course it is not a "phone". The setup procedure needs to verify a phone number by sending a confirmation text message to the device you are using!

After posting this, I noticed a better explanation of the phone requirement in this topic in the Echo Technical Support category, "Can't set up home intercom among my devices w/o cell phones???". See restamp's Reply #4.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2017, 01:27:51 pm by jweinel »

elmowarren

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2017, 02:53:54 pm »
I've been trying to sort this out for weeks and finally got some information.

If you have a Fire phone, the Alexa app has not been updated to work with calling/messaging - yet. I've been told the are working on an update.

If you have an Android phone, with Android 5 or higher, you might think you should have the conversation icon. I did, I bought a burner phone with Android 7. Alas, it seems the Alexa app is not hardware agnostic. You have to have specific phones to get the updated app. IPhone and Samsung Galaxy were recommended to me by an Amazon CSR. LG is on the no-go list. By the way, there is no "list" as such, I asked and was told no list of compatible phones is available. No word on whether or not the app will ever really work with all Android 5+ phones.

Did Amazon mess this one up? I think so.

Offline jwlv

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2017, 03:36:55 pm »
Apparently there are a lot of different versions of the Alexa app and not all of them are updated at the same time.

Just off the top of my head, there are differences between the Alexa app on iPhone, iPad, Android, Fire tablet, web app. I'm not sure if there are differences on Android between a tablet and a smartphone. If I had to guess, I'd say there are differences. As a former Android developer, I've always hated making different versions for smartphones and tablets.

Even if a new feature is already enabled on your Echo device, it does not necessarily mean that the Alexa app you are using has been updated to use that new feature.

Offline jwlv

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2017, 03:40:19 pm »
If you have a Fire phone, the Alexa app has not been updated to work with calling/messaging - yet. I've been told the are working on an update.

Amazon already gave up on the Fire Phone. They don't even sell it any more, except from some 3rd party merchants. I would not be surprised if they scrapped everything on the Fire phone including any of their own Amazon-branded apps.

Jamesroche1982

« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2017, 11:01:53 am »
I have tried everything.

I have a Blu Life One X2 Android phone. I have uninstalled the Alexa App and reinstalled it. No conversation icon.

I tried installing the Alexa app on my iPad Air... no conversation icon.

Installed the Alexa app on my wifes iPhone 6S and logged in as myself... There is the icon!!! But still, why won't it show up for me?

Jamesroche1982

« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2017, 12:05:25 pm »
I have tried everything.

I have a Blu Life One X2 Android phone. I have uninstalled the Alexa App and reinstalled it. No conversation icon.

I tried installing the Alexa app on my iPad Air... no conversation icon.

Installed the Alexa app on my wifes iPhone 6S and logged in as myself... There is the icon!!! But still, why won't it show up for me?
I checked and you are running Marshmallow. I thought initially maybe your Blu wasn't running the latest operating system.  I have to use apk apps for Alexa as I am in Canada. Maybe try an apk Alexa app on your android?  I use this site which is safe and I have the conversation icon on my android phone.  http://www.apkmonk.com/app/com.amazon.dee.app/

Hi, Thank you. Just installed the APK... no luck. Conversation Icon still not showing up

This phone is actually running Android 6.0.1

James

Jamesroche1982

« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2017, 12:43:35 pm »

Hi, Thank you. Just installed the APK... no luck. Conversation Icon still not showing up

This phone is actually running Android 6.0.1

James

If you are game to try one more updated apk from pure (safe site) here it is, https://apkpure.com/amazon-alexa/com.amazon.dee.app

Laurel
[/quote]
Thank you for all your help. But that APK didnt work either. It must be either something wrong with my account, or my cell is not compatible.

James

NancySue2

« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2017, 05:33:02 pm »
 This problem is absolutely infuriating to me. I have both an iPhone and an iPad.  The icon is present on my iPhone and not on my iPad. My father has an iPad but only has a cheap flip phone. He barely knows how to use the iPad but I got him the Alexa so he could communicate with other Alexa  users in my family but now he can't get this stupid icon on the iPad and he can't communicate with any of us.

« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2017, 07:33:36 pm »
This problem is absolutely infuriating to me. I have both an iPhone and an iPad.  The icon is present on my iPhone and not on my iPad. My father has an iPad but only has a cheap flip phone. He barely knows how to use the iPad but I got him the Alexa so he could communicate with other Alexa  users in my family but now he can't get this stupid icon on the iPad and he can't communicate with any of us.

Didn't we decide that not only does the device have to have WIFI, some won't load that version unless it has cellular capabilities as well? Does your iPad have Cellular?
2 Echo Dots 2nd gen
2 echo dots gen 3 (no clock) -2 Echo Dot 3rd gen with Clock
1 echo dot Gen 4 with clock
1 Echo Spot
4 10" Fire Tablets
1 15' Echo show
23 Hue Lights 1 Hue bridge - 1 Amazon Smart plug outlet
One Ring Doorbell Pro
4 cell phones with Alexa app installed!
You should see My Apple Device List!