Echo & Alexa Forums

Setting up Echo Show for my non-local very senior parents

SIOTHA_was_Here

Re: Setting up Echo Show for my non-local very senior parents
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2018, 03:38:55 pm »
you're funny. I wish i'd read that before i unboxed the beautiful thing.

I'll definetly give the video a try once it's at it's final destination. This thing has some speakers on it. Touch screen (didn't know it was touch screen).

Next up: Enabling Alexa calling and getting family to use their alexa app.

djbradster

« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2018, 11:35:46 am »
This is a great thread!   I'd like to take this one step further, though - Is there a way to remotely setup the wifi?   The person I wish to give the dot to has wifi, but not the patience to set it up.   Can I configure the wifi connection remotely?   Or - can I pre-populate the SSID and password before I give it to him?  The rest I have covered, as the dot will be on my amazon account.  I'm thinking there has to be a way to do this without me having to go there (couple hundred miles away).  I wish they'd make an echo with an Ethernet port (that did the drop-ins and music - I know the cube has Ethernet)

Offline jwlv

« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2018, 11:50:26 am »
I suppose the only way to pre-setup the WiFi for an Echo device is to change your own router to the SSID and password of the person that will receive the Echo. This also assumes that you will either create an Amazon account for that person or let them use your Amazon account on their Echo. Once that person receives the Echo from you, all they have to do is plug in the power and it should connect to their WiFi since the SSID and password you set on the Echo is identical to what they have. The Echo will just see the SSID and try the password you gave it and if it goes through, the Echo won't complain.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2018, 12:00:19 pm by jwlv »

Jeff20832

« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2019, 12:49:39 pm »
It seems to me that the key issue in the Echo Show call setup is being able to setup Alexa App on Either a PC/Mac (OR) Smartphone/Tablet.
Has anyone set this up without using SmartPhone?
I understand "Alexa-to-Alexa calling" is designed for compatible Echo devices and the Alexa for iOS or Android app for phones or tablets, so I assume once you are on WiFi with the Echo Show, you no longer need to have with Smartphone nearby.

I know this for a fact because for my wife's 88 year old mother we set hers up with the Alexa App installed with my wife's Smartphone, and my smartphone was used to set up our local Echo Show.

But I am wondering if you really need to use the smartphone itself?

Can you set up the Alexa app on a PC/Mac or Kindle Fire, and manually enter contacts from there?
https://alexa.amazon.com/spa/index.html?tag=pocketlintviglink-20#cards

froglips

« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2019, 02:15:51 pm »
Would setting up a smart phone WIFI hotspot with the same SSID as the parents WIFI network work to get the Echo device setup prior to shipping Echo to the parents location?

« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2019, 02:23:31 pm »
It seems to me that the key issue in the Echo Show call setup is being able to setup Alexa App on Either a PC/Mac (OR) Smartphone/Tablet.
Has anyone set this up without using SmartPhone?
I understand "Alexa-to-Alexa calling" is designed for compatible Echo devices and the Alexa for iOS or Android app for phones or tablets, so I assume once you are on WiFi with the Echo Show, you no longer need to have with Smartphone nearby.

I know this for a fact because for my wife's 88 year old mother we set hers up with the Alexa App installed with my wife's Smartphone, and my smartphone was used to set up our local Echo Show.

But I am wondering if you really need to use the smartphone itself?

Can you set up the Alexa app on a PC/Mac or Kindle Fire, and manually enter contacts from there?
https://alexa.amazon.com/spa/index.html?tag=pocketlintviglink-20#cards

mine is setup using google voice number  :-)   so really no smartphone is needed.  however, there are features/settings that are only available through the smartphone. 
« Last Edit: February 13, 2019, 03:01:20 pm by renegade600 »

hmteska

« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2020, 03:52:16 pm »
This thread was EXTREMELY helpful in setting up Echo Show 8's for both of our very senior, non-local parents.  Thanks to all who contributed their expertise and a special shout out to Cami!