Echo & Alexa Forums

word substitution?

chuque

word substitution?
« on: October 09, 2015, 12:11:34 pm »
I doubt it is possible but I thought I would ask.

I recently added my zwave motorized curtain via the echo bridge and Alexia, turn on/off curtain  closes/ opens curtains which to my brain makes sense (if the curtain is on, it is doing its job of blocking the light) However to make it more user friendly is there a way to add some type of logic where the words close / open translate to on / off ?

Beckyricha

Re: word substitution?
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2016, 11:37:50 am »
Depending on what hub you are using, you may be able to do this via ifttt. There are several home automation channels there. You would have to add the word "trigger" but could say whatever you want to do whatever you want (e g. "Alexa trigger close the blinds" ). If you haven't tried ifttt yet it's very straightforward. If you got a home automation hub working it is far simpler than that.

fstbusa

Re: word substitution?
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2016, 08:32:30 am »
I doubt it is possible but I thought I would ask.

I recently added my zwave motorized curtain via the echo bridge and Alexia, turn on/off curtain  closes/ opens curtains which to my brain makes sense (if the curtain is on, it is doing its job of blocking the light) However to make it more user friendly is there a way to add some type of logic where the words close / open translate to on / off ?

Yes but it takes a bit of programming to do so.