Get CPR certified in 30 minutes at CPR Test Center.
Echo & Alexa Forums

How to get a stock market update from Alexa?

mike27oct

How to get a stock market update from Alexa?
« on: December 08, 2016, 03:59:33 pm »
If I ask Siri, "Give me a stock market update" I get the reply, "Here's how the markets are doing" and the three major averages data are shown on screen.  Sweet.

But, if I ask Alexa the same question (or anything related) i get the Flash Briefing. Useless.

Does anyone know the magic words to ask Alexa for this info, or will she remain eternally dumber than Siri? 
Siri is so much smarter than Alexa on many things.  Why hasn't Apple challenged Amazon's Echo devices?

DParker

Re: How to get a stock market update from Alexa?
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2016, 04:20:06 pm »
This is where skills come in.  Enable the Fidelity skill and ask it about any stock or index.

mike27oct

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2016, 06:40:11 pm »
OK thanks,  I will check it out, although I haven't used many skills; I don't want to load up a boatload of skills in my account.  This stuff should be built in as it is with Siri -- Siri needs no "skills" added.  I know, I am just venting.

Kyle76

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2016, 10:27:06 pm »
I agree. Skills are an awkward way to get what should be basic information that doesn't require jumping through hoops.

mike27oct

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2016, 11:12:59 pm »
Glad you agree.  Screw it; I'll just ask Siri.

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2016, 12:22:50 pm »
I added "a" stock market skill a long time ago.  Hate it.   It never gets it right.  Perplexing, really, why Alexa doesn't have this feature without have to memorize a bunch of precise commands.

DParker

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2016, 12:32:09 pm »
Perplexing, really, why Alexa doesn't have this feature without have to memorize a bunch of precise commands.

What precise commands are you finding that you need to memorize?

"Alexa, ask Fidelity for the price of {insert security or market index here}."

...or some variant thereof seems pretty intuitive to me.

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2016, 01:22:52 pm »
Perplexing, really, why Alexa doesn't have this feature without have to memorize a bunch of precise commands.

What precise commands are you finding that you need to memorize?

"Alexa, ask Fidelity for the price of {insert security or market index here}."

...or some variant thereof seems pretty intuitive to me.

It wasn't Fidelity.  It was Stock Exchange.  I will try Fidelity but now I have to remember Fidelity, and 30 other skills openers.  Luckily, for news and weather I don't have to do that.

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2016, 01:24:57 pm »
So I looked at the ratings... Stock Exchange has 2 stars.  Not surprising given the trouble I had getting it to work correctly.  Fidelity doesnt look to be much beter at ~2.5 though.

mike27oct

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2016, 06:23:06 pm »
Solution:  Ask Siri.

Kyle76

« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2016, 11:40:44 pm »
Bloomberg has a skill, too.

cash10

« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2017, 07:22:36 am »
Alexa & Cityfalcon https://www.cityfalcon.com/ will be soon coming with real-time updates on stock market &  also other financial news.
Here is a video about Cityfalcon launching their service on Alexa What's going in the markets https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATha-A7g8H4
Hope this helps
« Last Edit: July 03, 2017, 07:25:19 am by cash10 »

mike27oct

« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2017, 01:40:48 pm »
Thanks for the update.  I took a look at the link you gave, and it appears to be too UK oriented for me.  Anyway, I'd prefer a visual instead of an audio report, which I easily can get from my iPhone, or I can ask Siri if I cannot look at the screen. 

Now that I have a Google Home, I can ask it "what's the value of the S&P" and it will tell me.  Alexa's response is to give a flash briefing!

So, I will use the right tool for the job.