Get CPR certified in 30 minutes at CPR Test Center.
Echo & Alexa Forums

can't call amazon echo dot from samsung phone...

dtvonly

can't call amazon echo dot from samsung phone...
« on: June 23, 2017, 04:09:52 pm »
Hi.  After I downloaded the Alexa app and setting it up, I am able to call my samsung phone from Alexa.  Conversation between Alexa and my phone works great.

However, I noticed that when Alexa called my phone, the name appeared was Home.
I don't know where Home is to add to my phone contact list in the Alexa app?

The strange thing is that I am able to leave a message on Alexa by pressing and holding the blue microphone button in the Alexa app.   However, I can not have a normal "phone" conversation from my samsung phone.

Question: How do I call Alexa from my Samsung phone - to have a regular "phone" conversation?

Thank you.

iolinux333

Re: can't call amazon echo dot from samsung phone...
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2017, 10:28:57 pm »
It seems to work via the Alexa app on my iPhone, both ways.

malliekm

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2017, 11:00:23 pm »
Would someone please explain to me the advantage of calling yourself and/or leaving yourself a message via your Alexa.   I did this during initial setup of calling and messaging to see if it worked, which it did, but
I didn't see any use in it.  I did get to see the pretty green light tonight though ;)

malliekm

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2017, 11:27:18 pm »
  BTW, I can't call Alexa from my Samsung phone either.
My understanding is that it's just from one Echo device to another, as long as that user is in your contacts.

I wish Google Home would hurry up and enable it's calling and messaging feature which includes all phones in the U.S. and Canada.  Initially it will only make outgoing calls.