Echo & Alexa Forums

Amazon Dash Wand

malliekm

Re: Amazon Dash Wand
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2017, 11:25:47 pm »
I don't buy anything at Amz that I can find less expensive elsewhere unless I deem the free two day shipping important enough.  Plus, it's a 30 minute one way drive to ANY type of shopping for me.  An hour one way to the closest city with big time shopping/dining/Drs etc.  But I have the nicest 4 legged neighbors so it's worth it :)  I appreciate both companies and find it NO problem at finding $35 worth of goods to get WM's free 2 day shipping. 

At dinner tonight, my husband and I were talking about the whole stupid "Whole Foods" buy out.  It's got the entire universe on it's ear!  I must be missing something :o

« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2017, 04:23:59 am »
who knows, maybe the whole foods deal will fall through. 

Amazon is expensive.  last fall I was looking for a new tablet.  the one I was looking at was being sold by amazon, not any third parties.  It was around 25 bucks above retail value.      I also found on a lot of items sold by amazon using prime, and compare it with a third party selling the same thing, the price would be the same when you add the shopping costs to the third party item.   another time I was looking at something from work, not signed in, it was one price.  sent myself a link so when I looked at it at home while signed in, the price was much higher.      IMO, if it were not for the videos, amazon prime would be worthless. 

« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2017, 07:33:30 am »
I don't buy anything at Amz that I can find less expensive elsewhere unless I deem the free two day shipping important enough.  Plus, it's a 30 minute one way drive to ANY type of shopping for me.  An hour one way to the closest city with big time shopping/dining/Drs etc.  But I have the nicest 4 legged neighbors so it's worth it :)  I appreciate both companies and find it NO problem at finding $35 worth of goods to get WM's free 2 day shipping. 

At dinner tonight, my husband and I were talking about the whole stupid "Whole Foods" buy out.  It's got the entire universe on it's ear!  I must be missing something :o

Completely understand the buying the cheapest way. Your drive shuts down almost any shipping costs, so Amazon actually pays off for you more than many others... I'm lazy and or tired (your call if you knew me) and like the convenience and don't mind paying for certain things a bit more if it saves me a bunch of headaches running around trying to actually find what is on sale... in stock as well... Sometimes the driving alone, to save, negates the savings... especially on small ticket items.

Like you and yours... I got no dog in the Whole Foods Hunt.... I Don't spend money there unless there's a specific product recommended by a doctor or something, that can only be found there... and even then I try and find alternatives to shopping with people who think their S**t don't stink and frickin' health food nuts... All of their stores around Dallas are in Hoity Toity neighborhoods... So Finding a parking spot next to something other than a Mercedes or Prius is almost impossible. (If this descriptive offends... Too Bad... I haven't had good experiences with folks who are in these groups).
2 Echo Dots 2nd gen
2 echo dots gen 3 (no clock) -2 Echo Dot 3rd gen with Clock
1 echo dot Gen 4 with clock
1 Echo Spot
4 10" Fire Tablets
1 15' Echo show
23 Hue Lights 1 Hue bridge - 1 Amazon Smart plug outlet
One Ring Doorbell Pro
4 cell phones with Alexa app installed!
You should see My Apple Device List!

fstbusa

« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2017, 08:27:28 am »
to be comparable to shipping, shouldn't you be factoring in what gas you use when driving?  When I realize my truck only gets 12 miles a gallon in stop and go traffic, driving 15 miles one way adds up pretty quick.

malliekm

« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2017, 03:26:32 pm »
Yes and I do factor in gas, wear and tear and even my time and energy.

malliekm

« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2017, 03:36:34 pm »
The Dash Wand doesn't do:
Timers and alarms
There is no "wake word"
No Flash Briefing
No Calling and Messaging

For the CNET Story on 9 things you should know before buying the Amazon Dash Wand
https://www.cnet.com/how-to/things-you-should-know-before-buying-the-amazon-dash-wand/?ftag=CAD-04-10aaf6e&bhid=

I don't have an inkling of a need for it even if it is free. 

« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2017, 05:29:58 pm »
to be comparable to shipping, shouldn't you be factoring in what gas you use when driving?  When I realize my truck only gets 12 miles a gallon in stop and go traffic, driving 15 miles one way adds up pretty quick.

true, but you are usually going for more than one or two items so gas usage don't really matter. 

iolinux333

« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2017, 07:37:29 am »
I've been going back to Walmart too lately.

In the past few years Amazon

- failed to expand prime music and instead wants me to pay more for an expanded music list

- added sales tax

- let two day lol shipping times turn into a joke

- increased the cost of Prime

- let WM beat them on prices of common items a lot of the time, maybe most of the time

I have no loyalty to any megacorp.  I'll just go for whatever's cheapest and most convenient, like most people.

Clay L

« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2017, 05:09:43 pm »
I got the Dash wand and the discount knocked $20 off the Echo Dot I bought. I scanned several things and it worked but it didn't signal that it was successful. Because of that I had the same item scanned several times.
It is hanging on the side of the refrigerator now. I changed the Dot wake word to avoid conflicts with it. I understand that if you have two Dots it picks the closest one but don't know if that is true with a Dot and a Dash.

Regarding Amazons Prime Pantry prices - I go to my local grocery store's web site and compare prices before I buy. Sometimes Amazon is better, sometimes much better and sometimes not at all cheaper.

k9kids

« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2017, 05:16:42 pm »
The Dash doesn't have a wake command.

fstbusa

« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2017, 08:45:19 am »
I got my wand last night... finding a hard time seeing how I will use this....