Echo & Alexa Forums

Adding an acknowledgement sound

Clay L

Adding an acknowledgement sound
« on: June 25, 2017, 02:34:20 pm »
I did a search with no luck. My mother-in-law  is 101 years old, has macular degeneration and  uses her Echo Dot for a number of things like getting weather and news. She has a problem with not knowing that Alexa has heard what she says and is working on her request.
I read about a way to add an acknowledgement sound to Alexa but can not locate it now. Customer service was not able to help when I called. The persons English was not good and I am not sure she understood what I was asking.
Does anyone know a way to add such a sound to Alexa? 

AlanH

Re: Adding an acknowledgement sound
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2017, 04:20:16 pm »
Open the app, and then Menu > Settings > tap on your device name (I have an Echo) at the top of Settings page > Sounds. You should see options for both Start and End of Request.

Clay L

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2017, 05:46:00 pm »
Thank you, that is what I needed. I didn't see it because the device was set up via my daughters phone. I have my MILs Amazon account info and can use the Alexa web site to set it.

strayfish

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2017, 06:17:29 pm »
Open the app, and then Menu > Settings > tap on your device name (I have an Echo) at the top of Settings page > Sounds. You should see options for both Start and End of Request.

Works fine on my Echo but not on either of my Dots although it's set to maximum. They all do the 'I'm listening' sound but only the Echo does the 'I've heard you' sound.

k9kids

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2017, 09:37:37 pm »
Thank you, that is what I needed. I didn't see it because the device was set up via my daughters phone. I have my MILs Amazon account info and can use the Alexa web site to set it.

Setup the app on your phone too. You've got all the info.

Laurel

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2017, 07:28:12 pm »

Thanks I learned something new. Appreciate it Alan.

Clay L

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2017, 04:45:02 pm »

Setup the app on your phone too. You've got all the info.

I don't have a smart phone. I use a Samsung Convoy 2 flip phone - battery life is three weeks on 24/7. My Kindle Fire tablet is too old and I can't download the Alexa app to it, so I am using the on-line Alexa site.
I now have my mother in laws Amazon user name and password and can see her Echo and control it from my computer.

AlanH

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2017, 04:53:56 pm »
Does your MIL listen to music on her Echo? I know that macular degeneration can be devastating from my late mother's experience, and in her case, listening to music took the place of reading.

strayfish

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2017, 06:12:13 pm »
Does your MIL listen to music on her Echo? I know that macular degeneration can be devastating from my late mother's experience, and in her case, listening to music took the place of reading.

With an Audible account, books are available too, narrated by professional narrators not the Alexa software.

Clay L

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2017, 10:55:08 am »

She does. She has some music channels on her cable TV that she listens to a lot. The cable company provides a remote with really large buttons and at this point she can see them well enough to select channels. When that changes  she will be able to use the Echo for music.

Clay L

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2017, 10:56:53 am »

With an Audible account, books are available too, narrated by professional narrators not the Alexa software.

Thanks, I will check into that.

AlanH

« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2017, 11:03:55 am »

She does. She has some music channels on her cable TV that she listens to a lot. The cable company provides a remote with really large buttons and at this point she can see them well enough to select channels. When that changes  she will be able to use the Echo for music.

Apple Music has a free 3 month trial if that might be of interest.