Echo & Alexa Forums

Hooking Echo up to my Receiver

Photobug

Hooking Echo up to my Receiver
« on: June 24, 2017, 01:49:51 pm »
I have hooked up the Echo Dot to my 10 year old Onkyo receiver.  I have a 3.5 mm cable coming out of the Dot to a splitter that has two RCA jacks.  I have tried the AUX input in the front of the receiver as well as the Tape input in the back.  Both work but have an annoying popping noise in the background.  Not like a phono popping noise but more like a steady tick, tick, tick.

Any suggestions on what I should try?

mike27oct

Re: Hooking Echo up to my Receiver
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2017, 02:19:08 pm »
Be sure the cable into the Dot is pushed ALL THE WAY IN.  The plug of the Dot is very tight and you may need to insert/reinsert it a few times before it is looser, and cable jack must be flush with Dot plug.

Also, the receiver inputs you are using should both work, but could be a little "dirty" from non-use so do same with the two RCA jacks.  Push all control switches in and out or turn back and forth, etc.  This movement should be done annually to clean all switches, etc.

OF COURSE, ALL THIS NEEDS TO BE DONE WHEN RECEIVER IS OFF!

Photobug

Re: Hooking Echo up to my Receiver
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2017, 12:50:43 pm »
Thanks ,

I am now thinking it might be the receiver itself.  It is almost 10 years old and in reviews it has some people with technical issues with it back then.  I had hooked up a bluetooth receiver to it in the past and remember running into this problem, but blamed the BT product.  Now I am blaming the DOT.  I will try some electrical cleaner on all the connections and see if I can find a fix.  If that does not fix it I will blame Onkyo, not Amazon for the issue.

It's too bad because except for the Tick-Tick-Tick in the background the Dot through the home speakers sounds great.