Echo & Alexa Forums

Connecting amazon echo to windows 7 via bluetooth

jamesscott

Connecting amazon echo to windows 7 via bluetooth
« on: June 19, 2017, 01:32:47 pm »
I am trying to connect my Amazon Echo to my windows 7 laptop. The Bluetooth adapter works fine with other Bluetooth speakers. However, when I try to connect my amazon echo, it connects and tries to install  drivers for three "Bluetooth peripheral devices". It fails, obviously.

How do I get it to connect? 

James ;D

mike27oct

Re: Connecting amazon echo to windows 7 via bluetooth
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2017, 01:47:45 pm »
Windows 7 has built in BT, so dig into the Win 7's BT instructions for further info.  Have fun.

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2017, 02:52:48 pm »
Did you restart Windows 7 and attempt to pair and or download drivers again?
Some drivers require a reboot
Did you do an auto or manual driver install?
Using Windows auto driver install doesn't always choose the best driver, especially with older the OS version.
Once you find the driver that works you may wish to disable auto update for drivers as Windows will over write the driver with one it thinks is better. This in my experience has stopped some USB devices from working correctly. ??? ::)

jamesscott

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2017, 12:54:07 pm »
Okay. Here's what happens when I connect to the echo.

1) Computer connects to Echo-xxxx
2) In devices and printers, computer shows a clock symbol on the icon of the echo
3) Computer states it is installing drivers for:

-Usb Perpipheral device
    -Usb Perpipheral device
    -Usb Perpipheral device

4) Computer fails to install drivers for the the "USB Peripheral devices"
5) Computer states that the echo is connected to my computer as a speaker, yet needs troubleshooting
6) Troubleshooting leads to it going back to step 3

mike27oct

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2017, 03:52:41 pm »
Wish I could help, because I successfully connected my Win7 BT to Echo and BT speakers a few months ago, but trying to get it to work today was unsuccessful.  Something in the setup must have gotten changed with a Win7 update.  Win7 is definitely showing its age.  Since I have much better ways to use BT, I am going to forget about using the Win7 BT (and not even mess with it from my Win10 laptop.)  Sorry I can't help.

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2017, 05:41:06 pm »
I updated to 10 from 7 when it became a free update knowing support for 7 was on its last legs.
There are reports of win 7 use having success with third party dongle drivers.
I'd suggest contacting Amazon to see if they have a echo driver for win 7
Once you get a driver manually tell windows to use typing in the path to it, not auto detecting.
Windows will most likely tell you it is out dated or something to that affect tell it to use that driver anyways.
Since I no longer have a PC with 7 on it I can't be much more help.
Win 8 or 10 drivers may work with 7 so you may try those.