Echo & Alexa Forums

Connecting to a hot spot

bladeshark

Connecting to a hot spot
« on: October 05, 2015, 05:07:41 pm »
I have an Echo at work in my office.  My WiFi in the office requires a username and password login daily so that wasn't working out.  I picked up a portable hotspot from AT&T and got the echo to connect.  Sweet!

The issue I'm having is that I turn the hotspot off at night when I go home and then bring it up the next morning.  Unfortunately I have to go through the setup each day to get it to connect again.  Is there a command to just get it to try connecting again?  Something like "Alexa, connect to wifi"?  I assume it probably tried many times overnight and then just quit.

Offline jwlv

Re: Connecting to a hot spot
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2015, 10:33:29 pm »
I think that if you turn off and on (unplug) the Echo, it'll reconnect to whatever Wifi that it was connected to previously.

bladeshark

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2015, 11:07:32 pm »
Thanks for the reply, I'll try that in the morning.  I'm really hoping for a solution to just trigger the reconnect via audible commands or button pressing sequence. 

dj_skully

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2015, 12:41:43 am »
When the echo times out to its wifi, it will turn (purple i think) and refuse to do anything usefull until next hard reboot. I don't think there is any way to fix this. You either have to leave the hotspot next to the echo 24/7 or reboot it every time.

bladeshark

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2015, 11:47:28 am »
Yep, I unplugged and replugged the power this morning and it connected to the wifi right away.  Thanks for the info.

Offline jwlv

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2015, 01:04:21 pm »
Since you turn off the Hotspot router every night, and I assume that you turn off your computer at the same time, maybe you can put everything including the Echo on a power strip that you can turn on/off with a single switch.

By the way, are you able to see how much data your Echo is using per day from you AT&T hotspot bill?

bladeshark

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2015, 06:46:20 pm »
That's a good idea. I'll put it on the power strip.  The on/off switch is nice instead of unplugging and replugging.   

The hotspot doesn't tell me how much each each device used.  Too bad, that would be good to know.  I can tell how much of my plan is used used by looking at the running total but that's it.