Echo & Alexa User Discussions and Support Forums

When a person is not breathing, permanent brain damage begins after 4 minutes and death in 6 minutes after that. Can you count on help arriving before that time? Learning proper CPR techniques is easy and you can learn it in 30 minutes at CPR Test Center.

Connecting to a hot spot

Connecting to a hot spot
« on: October 05, 2015, 05:07:41 pm »
I have an Echo at work in my office.  My WiFi in the office requires a username and password login daily so that wasn't working out.  I picked up a portable hotspot from AT&T and got the echo to connect.  Sweet!

The issue I'm having is that I turn the hotspot off at night when I go home and then bring it up the next morning.  Unfortunately I have to go through the setup each day to get it to connect again.  Is there a command to just get it to try connecting again?  Something like "Alexa, connect to wifi"?  I assume it probably tried many times overnight and then just quit.

Offline jwlv

Re: Connecting to a hot spot
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2015, 10:33:29 pm »
I think that if you turn off and on (unplug) the Echo, it'll reconnect to whatever Wifi that it was connected to previously.

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2015, 11:07:32 pm »
Thanks for the reply, I'll try that in the morning.  I'm really hoping for a solution to just trigger the reconnect via audible commands or button pressing sequence. 

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2015, 12:41:43 am »
When the echo times out to its wifi, it will turn (purple i think) and refuse to do anything usefull until next hard reboot. I don't think there is any way to fix this. You either have to leave the hotspot next to the echo 24/7 or reboot it every time.

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2015, 11:47:28 am »
Yep, I unplugged and replugged the power this morning and it connected to the wifi right away.  Thanks for the info.

Offline jwlv

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2015, 01:04:21 pm »
Since you turn off the Hotspot router every night, and I assume that you turn off your computer at the same time, maybe you can put everything including the Echo on a power strip that you can turn on/off with a single switch.

By the way, are you able to see how much data your Echo is using per day from you AT&T hotspot bill?

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2015, 06:46:20 pm »
That's a good idea. I'll put it on the power strip.  The on/off switch is nice instead of unplugging and replugging.   

The hotspot doesn't tell me how much each each device used.  Too bad, that would be good to know.  I can tell how much of my plan is used used by looking at the running total but that's it.