Get CPR certified in 30 minutes at CPR Test Center.
Echo & Alexa Forums

Connecting Echo Dot to Frontier FiOS Wifi???

infinitempg

Connecting Echo Dot to Frontier FiOS Wifi???
« on: June 18, 2017, 03:30:11 pm »
Have an Echo Dot and installed the app on my Samsug S6.  Followed the steps and everything worked until I got to the part to connect to the Wifi.  We have Frontier (formerly Verizon) FiOS and the router setting for Wifi use WPA2.  Echo setup is asking for Wifi "Password" but we don't have a password for our Wifi, we normally only have to enter the WPA2 key to get on to the Wifi.  The only password we have on our Wifi is the admin password to change the router settings.  And the WPA2 key doesn't connect... neither does the admin router password (knew it wouldn't but had to try).

So we're totally stumped as to what to do here.  Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
« Last Edit: June 18, 2017, 03:39:53 pm by infinitempg »

mike27oct

Re: Connecting Echo Dot to Frontier FiOS Wifi???
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2017, 10:44:39 pm »

1.  EVERYONE needs to know their wi-fi password! (Never even heard of connecting to home wi-fi this way except for first time.)

2.  If you have the admin password, then you can get into router to see your password, or create one if you do not have one for any reason.  You probably don't know the name of your network either, so find that out too, because you need to connect to THAT network.  All along, you should have been using your home network to use internet on mobile devices and NOT your cell data plan.

3.  Additionally, you should be transmitting TWO wi-fi signals; one for 2.4G band and other for 5G band -- and each designated uniquely as such.  For Echo devices, I recommend connecting to 2.4G band, for any video streaming capable devices, use the 5G band.

Who set this mess up for you, Frontier or was it a DIY project?

Edit:  And, by the way, WPA2 is a security protocol, and not a way to connect to a router, perhaps you meant to say WEP2 which is a way (via the hardware) to connect to a router and forego the password method.  In any event, you only need to use WEP2 once to connect.

You need some serious assist learning to use wireless. Get Frontier out again to help you.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2017, 10:54:02 pm by mike27oct »

malliekm

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2017, 12:09:02 am »
Mike, We use our cell data on mobile devices all the time. What's wrong with that?  Isn't that kind of what it's for?  Maybe I've misunderstood something.
BTW  I know my Wi-Fi password and I know the name of my network.  Are you giving out prizes? ;D

mike27oct

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2017, 01:30:30 am »
Monica, are you trying to jerk me around?  I will assume you are not, and give you a straight answer.

Reasons, to use one's home wireless rather than the cell plan for internet use:

(In the US) home internet use is not metered and permits unlimited use, whereas cell data is metered, meaning most plans limit the data one can use each month, measured in gigabytes.  If one wants more data per month, it cost more for usually every 10 gigabytes more one wants, and the price goes up accordingly. 

This why we do not connect our Alexa devices to a data plan, but rather our wi-fi or home network via a wired connection for other devices.  I know a lot of people do not "get this"  because I can see all the wi-fi signals in my neighborhood, and some are on 24/7/365 and some are on during a few hours in the evening.  Why?  Those who know to use their wi-fi have it on all the time, and those who don't only have it on a few hours.  Also those that are not on all the time do not have any Alexa or GH devices which requires constant wi-fi.

Another reason to use wi-fi at home instead of data plan is most wi-fi is faster than what most cell data plans are.  For internet video streaming, fast internet is essential.

Enough good reasons?  I will add, that if not at home, THIS is when to use the data plan, but if you have access to a hotspot, then use it and not data plan.  Don't spend down the data plan unnecessarily.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2017, 01:33:56 am by mike27oct »

malliekm

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2017, 02:26:55 am »
But you really can't use a blanket statement like that.  Not everyone lives "in town".  A huge portion of the country LIVES where wifi is limited, VERY limited.  And where wifi isn't as fast as mobile data.  How about a ping time of 638ms...takes a bit for the signal to bounce off a satellite that's over 22K miles up in space :o  38ms ping time using mobile data out here.  I'm sure it's less "in town".  Until Gen5, I had a larger mobile data plan than I did home wifi...12GB/Month with on Verizon and 10GB/MONTH with HughesNet satellite.  Now I have 20GB/MONTH with HughesNet Satellite.  Mobile data is faster for some and based on the fierce competition among satellite internet companies, there are a WHOLE lot of folks that aren't "in town".  So no, I'm not trying to jerk you around.  And yes, I do realize you can't use mobile data with an Echo Dot or a Google Home but you can certainl use it for home internet.  So not all US home internet is unlimited.  I'd even suggest there are some internet companies (other than satellite) that have limited plans.  My AIs are connected to a "limited home wifi".  It happens more than you think ;)

mike27oct

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2017, 04:56:06 am »
Well, I CAN use a blanket statement, because my comments were directed to the OP who has top tier internet from Frontier FIOS (fiber optic).  MOST of the people in US have access to decent internet service; you are the exception and not the rule when it comes to this, sorry to say.

In the case of my neighborhood, folks either use Xfinity, Frontier or Direct TV satellite.  Most are clueless to how it all works, and most do not understand or use their internet and cell plans efficiently.

And, yes, one can use their cell plan to connect a Dot, etc to.  That's how they use these things in a car.  They setup a wi-fi hotspot on their phone to their cell phone provider and connect to the cell plan. Then, they connect the Dot in car to their phone's wi-fi hotspot.

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2017, 05:16:58 am »
Monica, are you trying to jerk me around?  I will assume you are not, and give you a straight answer.

Reasons, to use one's home wireless rather than the cell plan for internet use:

(In the US) home internet use is not metered
and permits unlimited use, whereas cell data is metered, meaning most plans limit the data one can use each month, measured in gigabytes.  If one wants more data per month, it cost more for usually every 10 gigabytes more one wants, and the price goes up accordingly. 

not true.  at$t dsl, comcast, suddenlink and many others have data caps on their home service in a lot of cities. 

in addition, at$t, verizon and others no longer have caps on some of their mobile data plans.  but they will throttle you if you use x amount but you no longer pay for extra when you go over.

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2017, 05:21:27 am »
Have an Echo Dot and installed the app on my Samsug S6.  Followed the steps and everything worked until I got to the part to connect to the Wifi.  We have Frontier (formerly Verizon) FiOS and the router setting for Wifi use WPA2.  Echo setup is asking for Wifi "Password" but we don't have a password for our Wifi, we normally only have to enter the WPA2 key to get on to the Wifi.  The only password we have on our Wifi is the admin password to change the router settings.  And the WPA2 key doesn't connect... neither does the admin router password (knew it wouldn't but had to try).

So we're totally stumped as to what to do here.  Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

what is your routers model number - if it is a combination modem/router we will still need the model number. 

infinitempg

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2017, 06:12:49 am »
The router is an ActionTech MI424WR https://www.actiontec.com/products/wifi-routers-gateways/fiber/bhr-rev-i/ and it has a section to setup users for the wifi but then if I do that, what is the user name that the Echo Dot would use?   There is no generic wifi "password" (been thru every menu on the admin account for the router).  For someone to connect to the wifi with their cell phone or tablet when here the wifi shows up as a secure network and their device requests what the WPA key is but that does NOT work with Echo Dot.  I connect to wifi at work and at work places I visit and am always asked for the WPA key, not a password.  Can honestly say I have never been asked for a password.

AlanH

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2017, 08:29:36 am »
Well, I CAN use a blanket statement, because my comments were directed to the OP who has top tier internet from Frontier FIOS (fiber optic).  MOST of the people in US have access to decent internet service; you are the exception and not the rule when it comes to this, sorry to say.

In the case of my neighborhood, folks either use Xfinity, Frontier or Direct TV satellite.  Most are clueless to how it all works, and most do not understand or use their internet and cell plans efficiently.

And, yes, one can use their cell plan to connect a Dot, etc to.  That's how they use these things in a car.  They setup a wi-fi hotspot on their phone to their cell phone provider and connect to the cell plan. Then, they connect the Dot in car to their phone's wi-fi hotspot.
Still having those anger management issues I see. Your arrogance is astounding - it really is time you were suspended or banned.

mike27oct

« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2017, 02:06:32 pm »
Guys, I am referring to normal conditions from well known and heavily used ISPs, there are no restrictive "normal" limits from the likes of Comcast, Frontier, etc., and yes, most ISPs limit EXCESSIVE internet use (to catch those using it illegally for the most part) e. g. a neighbor was notified recently of excessive use.  Turned out his new next door neighbor was tapped into, and using, his guest network that was NOT password protected!  I have detected a few home networks with unprotected guest networks.

BTW, the printed instructions for setting up the Echo state that the home wi-fi network PASSWORD is required to complete setup.  No tickie; no laundry.

AlanH; duly noted.

« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2017, 02:38:54 pm »
Guys, I am referring to normal conditions from well known and heavily used ISPs, there are no restrictive "normal" limits from the likes of Comcast, Frontier, etc., and yes, most ISPs limit EXCESSIVE internet use (to catch those using it illegally for the most part) e. g. a neighbor was notified recently of excessive use.  Turned out his new next door neighbor was tapped into, and using, his guest network that was NOT password protected!  I have detected a few home networks with unprotected guest networks.

BTW, the printed instructions for setting up the Echo state that the home wi-fi network PASSWORD is required to complete setup.  No tickie; no laundry.

AlanH; duly noted.

that was not what you said!!!  please don't play us as fools.  you just did not know what you were talking about and now trying to talk around it. 

mike27oct

« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2017, 03:26:54 pm »
Not playing anyone for a fool.  But, what I said within my quote is what my intended reply should have been understood.  Bottom line is, anyone not using their cell plan or home internet wisely, is not getting the max benefit of either.  Hope you will agree.

infinitempg

« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2017, 07:22:38 pm »

Okay, so how do you set up a wifi password where your router/modem only requires you to input a WPA key to get onto the wifi?  We have a Samsung Smart TV connected to wifi by entering WPA key.  We have two mobile phones, a tablet and a laptop connected to our wifi by entering WPA key.  We have two security cameras connected to our wifi by entering the WPA key.  We have a Chamberlin My-Q automated garage door system connected to our wifi by entering the WPA key.  We have family and guests here occasionally who connect to our wifi with the WPA key.  And you're telling me the Echo Dot isn't smart enough to connect to the wifi that all these other devices were set up to connect to so easily?

There are +1.6 million FiOS users in this country and they run the same equipment I am using.  Maybe there's a FiOS user out there who actually connected an Echo Dot to their wifi who could help....   ???

Also, there is an admin account on the router/modem and it has a password.  I can also set up user accounts with passwords, but what username would the echo dot be trying to connect using?  I created a user called alexa and gave it a password but didn't work.  Neither did the admin password.  Getting ready to box this POS up and send it back.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2017, 07:26:39 pm by infinitempg »

infinitempg

« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2017, 07:38:26 pm »
LOL!!!!  Figured it out myself.  Went to my router settings and just selected WPA-2 security (which was already selected) and left the WPA key as the paraphrase and went back and tried to set up the Echo Dot again and put in the WPA key and this time it accepted it and connected.  I guess "thanks" sort of.... regardless it worked.   8)