Echo & Alexa Forums

looking for a work around on calling

mangurian

looking for a work around on calling
« on: June 17, 2017, 01:50:45 pm »
I am a super-senior citizen and had hoped to use my DOT as an "I've fallen and I can't get up" emergency device.

Both of my daughters downloaded Alexa to their phones, but are reluctant to have all of their contacts exposed.  Is there a way to have just my number show up? 

Short of replacing my offspring, does anyone ave a work-around?

Thanks,

mike27oct

Re: looking for a work around on calling
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2017, 02:19:48 pm »
Tell your paranoid daughters the contacts Amazon needs are only the ones in the phone's Contacts list.  Amazon has better things to do than use this list for mischief.  There is no work around.

malliekm

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2017, 04:18:48 pm »
There is a workaround and I've successfully used it.  Enable the skill, "Ask My Buddy".  They don't need  the skill on their end.  This skill lets you add (I don't know how many.  I have 4) contacts in a network for personal alerts.  If you find  yourself in need of help, say, "Alexa Ask My Buddy to alert (name)".  Or just say "Alexa, Ask My Buddy to send help", or "Alexa, Ask MY Buddy to alert everyone" or Alexa, Ask My Buddy to alert my family"

You will need to have access to a computer to create an account and fill in your information.  The phone number that will call your designated contacts won't be yours so please let everyone know that if they see a call from this particular number, answer it!  It will also send out a text alert. 
Monica

http://askmybuddy.net/

mangurian

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2017, 04:46:30 pm »
thanks for Ask My Buddy advice...........

malliekm

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2017, 04:59:06 pm »
You're very welcomed :)

mike27oct

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2017, 06:13:04 pm »
Good suggestion Monica.