Get CPR certified in 30 minutes at CPR Test Center.
Echo & Alexa Forums

Is remote voice activated?

Kpd

Is remote voice activated?
« on: June 16, 2017, 01:17:01 pm »
I wonder if anyone can clear this up.  I have a remote.   I have paired it.

I have read something that says it is voice activated - and something that says you have to press and hold the microphone button.

Neither of these things works.  Does anyone have one and can they enlighten me on what is meant to happen?  Because nothing is happening lol

Many thanks

strayfish

Re: Is remote voice activated?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2017, 01:32:47 pm »
It's both - use the wake word without the remote and give an instruction such as 'Alexa, play *** radio station'. With the remote, you hold the microphone button down to give the instruction (no need for the wake word), say (e.g.) 'Cancel alarm', then release it as soon as you're finished. Holding it down means it's still open and that seems to 'confuse' the software so that it does nothing. Is that close to what you are asking?

Kpd

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2017, 05:26:54 pm »
Ok.  So if I am understanding you correctly...

I should be able to use the remote exactly as the dot - and say ALEXA.... and it will listen.  AND Press the microphone button should I wish not just to use the voice command (although I am having trouble imagining why anyone would want this option).

I cannot get either thing to work.

Considering the echo dot is so efficient - I would expect this remote voice thing to work as efficiently - honestly it has only worked once and I do not know what I did to make it work.

strayfish

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2017, 06:41:15 pm »
If you use the remote, you don't need to say Alexa but you do need to hold the button down while you give the command and let go as soon as you've completed the command. Don't keep your finger on it (as I did at first) waiting for it to respond because it won't.

If you don't use the remote, you do need to say Alexa.

I use the remote when there's a lot of noise around or when I have the Echo's volume turned up high because it's easier to make voice contact. Also when I've set the morning alarm on the Echo in the kitchen and want to turn it off from the bedroom. The rest of the time I just use voice directly. I don't know why yours worked once and not since though. Do you mean you can't get it to respond at all, whether via the remote or directly?

Another possibility I've just thought of (and most likely isn't relevant but here goes), you haven't somehow changed the wake word have you? There are three: Alexa, Echo, and Computer. You can check in the app which is assigned to your device and you can change it to one of the others if you prefer. My Echo is called Echo and the two Dots are called Alexa, but every so often I use the wrong one and wonder why it's not responding.