Echo & Alexa Forums

The Finer Art of Posting to the Forum

The Finer Art of Posting to the Forum
« on: June 13, 2017, 11:09:04 am »
I get asked or read new users posts where they ask simple forum posting Questions.
Some the answers are so obvious (at least to me) but then some people just need a walk through before they go it alone.
I first posted a simular thread on forums.x10.com (http://forums.x10.com/index.php?topic=10516.0) and since this forum uses the same software (SMF) the tips are the same.
So rather then type out the whole tutorial thread you can click the link above or use the quick links to the specifics below.
Note: The tutorial was create when SMF was in version 1.10 so screen captures will appear different (but not much)
The X10 forum also has a different look but posting is the same
« Last Edit: June 13, 2017, 07:30:32 pm by tuicemen »

AlanH

Re: The Finer Art of Posting to the Forum
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2017, 02:02:41 pm »
You should probably get into the habit of using the Preview button to avoid the typos in your post.

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2017, 02:30:08 pm »
Yes, good point! (I usually try to do this)
That would also prevent having to go back and edit ones post (if it is obvious to the OP). ::)

Auto spell check can sometimes add the wrong word changing the whole meaning of ones post.
I usually also read the preview over several times before I post but even then things get missed.  :-[

malliekm

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2017, 06:59:57 pm »
I'm pretty sure this forum doesn't offer the ability to upload attachments from your computer.  I WISH it did (hint hint) and without such a tiny max file size.  I have to upload photos to photobucket and then choose the img option to include it in my message. 

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2017, 07:26:32 pm »
I'm pretty sure this forum doesn't offer the ability to upload attachments from your computer.  I WISH it did (hint hint) and without such a tiny max file size.  I have to upload photos to photobucket and then choose the img option to include it in my message.
Your right! Thanks for pointing that out.
Since I put up my own site I stoped using this option on all forums and link to images on my web site instead.
I'll edit me OP to reflect this.