Echo & Alexa Forums

Ideas for improving the forum.

Ideas for improving the forum.
« on: June 12, 2017, 08:04:39 pm »
I like this forum!
users helping users.
However a few as always wreck it for the rest.
Here is a few of my ideas for improvement.
1: As the forum grows with more users and threads some rules need to be monitored more closely.
This requires extra eyes and hands to moderate. (hopefully we get this soon!)

2:The forum has over 4,200 members which are level L1 or LO
It appears you need 5 post or more to become a L2 user.
why not remove the L1 designation and require users to become a L2 user before they can post links

3: Install mods for spam control. This will cut spam as will #2

got other ideas?
Post them maybe one will get implemented. ;)

mike27oct

Re: Ideas for improving the forum.
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2017, 08:38:54 pm »
I like your idea of improving this Forum. although I do not think new users "wreck" the boards, and to require a higher level to post a message is too restrictive, since folks often show up here in a panic and want/need some quick feedback.  But, requiring new users to read X number of posts before posting, and encourage them to not shoot first and ask questions later could be helpful.  Many people apparently never read posts at all before posting, and ask a question that has been answered many times already.

As for assistant monitors, I first volunteer you, and secondly, me.  I have been at this forum many times a day, and am not employed (i.e. I'm retired) so I am present and able most of the time.  I also helped administer a friend's BBS in the earlier days of computer "forums".  Will do ANYTHING to get rid of Crapcha.

Offline kevb

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2017, 09:40:08 pm »
My main idea: make the search button as large as possible- new users seem not to see it. I don't mind the captcha

malliekm

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2017, 11:38:52 pm »
I didn't mind it either till it changed this evening and I had to start clicking grids in a square to further prove I'm not a bot.  I've had to do up to SIX tests for one post because apparently my answers were wrong.  It's starting to be a deal-breaker :(  jwlv, I hope you're working on another option.

strayfish

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2017, 04:11:32 am »
I didn't mind it either till it changed this evening and I had to start clicking grids in a square to further prove I'm not a bot.  I've had to do up to SIX tests for one post because apparently my answers were wrong.  It's starting to be a deal-breaker :(  jwlv, I hope you're working on another option.

Where are you - mine's still a tick box. I'm in the UK, if that makes a difference, although I don't see why it would.

And now it's pictures Grrr!
« Last Edit: June 13, 2017, 05:32:16 am by strayfish »

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2017, 04:25:54 am »
I like your idea of improving this Forum. although I do not think new users "wreck" the boards, and to require a higher level to post a message is too restrictive, since folks often show up here in a panic and want/need some quick feedback.  But, requiring new users to read X number of posts before posting, and encourage them to not shoot first and ask questions later could be helpful.  Many people apparently never read posts at all before posting, and ask a question that has been answered many times already.

As for assistant monitors, I first volunteer you, and secondly, me.  I have been at this forum many times a day, and am not employed (i.e. I'm retired) so I am present and able most of the time.  I also helped administer a friend's BBS in the earlier days of computer "forums".  Will do ANYTHING to get rid of Crapcha.

go back and reread the quote.  note it was not about x number of posts but not allowing links in x number of posts  :-)

as far as a bbs, I ran one for a couple of years myself.  had to shut it down when the phone bills got too high in the mid 90's. 

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2017, 07:01:14 am »
I like your idea of improving this Forum. although I do not think new users "wreck" the boards,
most new users don't wreck a board the word user was used loosely, Since once you are allowed to post one becomes a user and it isn't always new users that spoil the pot.
and to require a higher level to post a message is too restrictive, since folks often show up here in a panic and want/need some quick feedback.  But, requiring new users to read X number of posts before posting, and encourage them to not shoot first and ask questions later could be helpful.  Many people apparently never read posts at all before posting, and ask a question that has been answered many times already.
I never suggested a higher level to post merely to add links to ones post and your write most new users never search for answers (even some regulars fail to do this)However I'm unsure there is a way to require someone to read first x number of threads before posting.
you could limit new users posts per day but I dislike that Idea myself.
Well I do have lots of experience with monitoring forums  and many are SMF and like you am retired.
The Crapcha is gone ( at least for user levels l and up) :) but volunteering just to get rid of something isn't the way.
Moderating a board is hard work unless your limited to a specific task, even still basic house cleaning can get very busy.
I have offered to help out where ever needed however I suspect someone who has been on the forum longer then me may be better suited. ;)

mike27oct

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2017, 12:59:23 pm »
Sorry you took some of my comments too literally.  Yes, I made an error in reading your comment about liniting posts with links.

Our day of pain with Captcha appears to be over.  Whew.

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2017, 01:20:53 pm »
No need to be sorry! ;)
That's the thing with text it can be interpreted differently then the poster intended.
I like to use the smileys to help. I Just wish there were more to use. ::) ;)