No
7 (77.8%)
Yes
2 (22.2%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Are you a Captcha fan?

Are you a Captcha fan?
« on: June 12, 2017, 05:21:49 pm »
I'm not sure it was users complaining of spam or the fact JWLV was tired of deleting spam.
This will reduce forum activity for sure but not spam
Submitting all users to this is making spammers laugh, since all they wish to do is terrorize a forum.
I suspect this will get few if any replies if verification is required simply to vote! :(

strayfish

Re: Are you a Captcha fan?
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2017, 06:08:09 pm »
It's a tick-box, it's not very difficult.
[Famous last words as I haven't posted this yet!]

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2017, 06:11:15 pm »
LOL
Well simply voting didn't ask me but replying does!
as does editing ones post.
I see it may have prevented your voting strayfish!
« Last Edit: June 12, 2017, 06:15:36 pm by tuicemen »

strayfish

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2017, 06:15:45 pm »
LOL
Well simply voting didn't ask me but replying does!

Yep! Couldn't vote though because there are different sorts of captcha. This one's dead easy but others are well nigh impossible so there's no one answer.

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2017, 06:21:22 pm »
Ok reworded the poll question?
Captcha has its place I just feel it is being over used now, here!

malliekm

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2017, 06:25:44 pm »
I am not necessarily a fan of captcha but I am a fan of less spam and if this simple check box works, I'm in.  jwlv may find something that works better but at least he's trying. I have absolutely no trouble ticking a simple check box.

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2017, 06:26:38 pm »

if you can see it  :-)

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2017, 06:42:38 pm »
jwlv had the same captcha implemented for user registration back when I first registered to the forum if it hasn't stopped spam yet it isn't going to.
Ok so it wasn't in place for every post just my first one.

I get hit with 10-20 spammer login attempts on my personal forum daily these are all stopped automatically.
On the largest forum I moderate with 6 others we get hit with 80-100 a day, may be one gets through a month. But since it isn't just me moderating, the spam is handled fast and few see it.
Captcha isn't used for postings on any forum I help out with.

I think jwlv needs help with the forum and not just for handling spam.

mike27oct

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2017, 07:20:58 pm »
As I have said throughout this day since Crapcha appeared, it is crap. and just penalizes legit users.

If it continues it will cause me to think twice to posting or responding.  Who needs the hassle!

malliekm

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2017, 08:17:47 pm »
Mike, seriously?  How much hassle is it to click on a check box?  It's not the perfect solution.  There may not be a perfect solution.   And maybe this is what's he's come up with till he has time to implement something else and maybe this will work.  Give the guy a chance.  I give him credit for taking action and trying to do what's good for his forum members.  We'd hate to lose you!

malliekm

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2017, 08:24:51 pm »
OoooK, Now that was a bit too much.  All I've had to do was click on the checkbox till my last post.  I had to look at pictures and click on grids that included store fronts :(

malliekm

« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2017, 08:32:17 pm »
Yeah, now I can see this being a problem.  jwlv, at first all I had to do was click on a check box.  Now I have to view and follow directions to locate items in several grids.  If it doesn't like  your answer, you have to do it again.  I'm sure you'll find a solution that works for everyone.  Growing pains! ;)

mike27oct

« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2017, 08:43:31 pm »
Monica, this is a PITA, The last set of blurry pictures had me draw a frikkin square around a stop sign, and other ridiculous tasks. 

I gave it a chance, and it failed!

mike27oct

« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2017, 08:49:04 pm »
BTW, I like the few spam messages here, because I can just ignore them, and that does not require Crapcha!

Offline kevb

« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2017, 09:44:42 pm »
All I've had to do is click a square, not too big a deal. What's stopping Tuiceman from starting his own forum? Not that I don't welcome him and his ideas, but why try to implement rules on something that's not yours? Too much of that going on these days in my opinion.