Echo & Alexa Forums

Any Thoughts on Smart/wifi Exterior Door Locks?

malliekm

Any Thoughts on Smart/wifi Exterior Door Locks?
« on: June 11, 2017, 10:55:06 pm »
The door we use to exit and enter the house 99% of the time is a set of French doors at the rear of the house.  They aren't as sturdy as the regular (single) front door.  Years of working on them hasn't helped much.  A contractor buddy of my husband's said they never will as solid as a regular door.  This part of the country with our particular soil, extreme droughts and extreme flooding is a problem with foundation heaving and sinking.  I'm guessing that precise stability with the dead bolt is crucial for a smart lock to work.  Or is there wiggle room?  If you have one could  you let us know what kind of door it's on and what, if any, problems you've had with it please.  Also, what brand do you have?
Thanks

malliekm

Re: Any Thoughts on Smart/wifi Exterior Door Locks?
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2017, 08:27:14 pm »
No one has a smart/wifi exterior door lock?

Offline kevb

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2017, 09:36:56 pm »
I installed one a month ago. It is on the door connecting my garage to the house. Still trying it out. No personal experience with it on french doors, but I know they have been used on french doors on a patio. Mine is a Schlage door entry lock as opposed to a dead bolt. When locked, the outer handle turns but does not move the latch to unlock the door. When unlocked, the handle can move the latch. Other systems use a motor to physically move the deadbolt, which might require the precision you mention. I have a Vera Plus Zwave home automation hub- this is the lock I bought:  https://www.lowes.com/pd/Schlage-Camelot-Satin-Nickel-Electronic-Entry-Door-Lever/3067327

The lock I bought doesn't directly work with Alexa, but I can use Alexa to tell the hub to lock the door. There may be a wifi version of this type of lock available. My wife wanted a lock between the garage and the house. I wanted an automated lock. Compromise, you know? :)

malliekm

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2017, 11:33:42 pm »
Thanks Kevb.  The two I've looked into actually move the deadbolt.  We'd have to have this type no matter which door it was on. 
Yep, compromise.  Can't stay married 38 years without it :)

tx50

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2017, 10:26:09 am »
We have Schlage Connect locks and I love them.  Easily controlled via app or Alexa.  Programmable keypad is excellent.  One of these we have on French doors and no issue but we have a stable foundation so I cannot speak as to what wiggle room would necessarily be needed I'm afraid.  Not sure if this is of any help at all or not but best of luck!

arpanshah1990

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2017, 02:37:03 am »
Using August 2nd Gen Smart Locks. The looks works well with Alexa.

Trixiesmom2u

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2017, 08:20:57 pm »
Did you get a smartlock yet? I am trying to decide between Schlage and August 3rd generation. My issue is my dead bolt locks, sort of. It is 75% of the way to the closed position, but not completely. The door locks but not the way it should. I’m thinking about having a locksmith out to see if he can fix it. I think it has to do with the strike plate, plus the door frame is warped near the top. If a locksmith can fix it so it locks properly, I’m leaning towards August. I like the idea of having my door recognize me and open just because I have a phone in my purse. I’m still reading reviews. The generation 3 just came out and I want to see more reviews before I buy.