Echo & Alexa Forums

Mod, Can You Not Ban This Guy's ISP?

malliekm

Mod, Can You Not Ban This Guy's ISP?
« on: June 10, 2017, 09:24:52 pm »
Geeze!

Re: Mod, Can You Not Ban This Guy's ISP?
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2017, 09:52:17 pm »
Geeze!

near impossible to do.  you can ban the current ip but it will change the next time.  maybe the best thing would be to get moderators who are on different times of the day that can delete it.  if like the last time,  the current spam will be here until tomorrow because the owner just don't seem to care anymore - unless he is doing the spamming  :-(  It seems my posts he deems worthless gets deleted faster than real spam. 

malliekm

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2017, 10:53:37 pm »
Sounds like the owner of this list/forum needs to assign a couple of moderators

mike27oct

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2017, 11:45:42 pm »
Go easy on jwlv, he has a life, too.

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2017, 12:13:51 am »

yea but if you are going to own and run a forum, you need to spend a bit more time on it or get help. 

Offline jwlv

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2017, 03:00:03 am »
No, I cannot ban their ISP because they use VPNs. They bounce all over the world and there is no effective way to trace them back to the origination IP without hundreds of hours of work. Think about those ransomware attacks that you hear on the news. Even the FBI and CIA have a hard time finding out where those crooks are originating from. And they don't even have to trace backwards. The crooks are demanding Bitcoins. They could trace forward to see where the Bitcoins end up. They say Bitcoins are anonymous. Even though it is anonymous, it is still traceable. The public Bitcoin ledger allows anyone to see where that Bitcoin was received and where it was spent or transferred again. You follow that path, and work back from that, you'll eventually find the person who received that Bitcoin. Obviously I don't have the resources of the FBI or CIA.

Sometimes people go out on Saturday nights. The first spam message was posted about 7 hours ago. You don't see the ones I delete on a daily basis because, well, they're already deleted and gone. They do come on a daily basis, and often multiple times a day. They do seem to follow specific time patterns. Usually at 4am, 8am, and 3pm. Today's spam came at a time that didn't follow their usual pattern. Perhaps they got wise to when I look out for them.

I delete spam messages and I ban accounts if they are proven spammers. For the legitimate users, I only delete messages if someone clicked that "report" button. More often than not, those reports have no merit and I ignore it. If you think that your messages don't offend anyone, think again. Someone clicked that report button.

Out of thousands of users I've only banned 2 legitimate users. Those were temporary bans and they can come back if they wish. That's up to them.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2017, 03:09:13 am by jwlv »

k9kids

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2017, 07:36:06 am »

We'll said!

I'm amazed by the ignorance of some who don't understand how the internet works.

malliekm

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2017, 10:23:25 pm »

We'll said!

I'm amazed by the ignorance of some who don't understand how the internet works.

You're amazed at the amt of people that don't know the technical workings of spammers and bots? :o
I'm guessing most people don't.  I do know if he had a moderator or two, that stuff wouldn't stick around
so long.

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2017, 02:24:10 pm »
I admin several forums, one with over 24846 posting  Members.
Spam is and always has been a thorn in the side of those that moderate forums.
Luckily there are several plug-ins (addons) for different forum software.
SMF has a number of these which I use to block spammers. These don't catch all spammers but do stop over 90% of those attempts.
The only sure fire way I've found to prevent this is to manually activate users after checking the IP and requiring a returned email request.
Stopforumsam.com has a vast data base of blacklisted IPs & email addresses several thousand forums rely this data base and add to it hourly.