Echo & Alexa Forums

Which Hub to get with Amazon Echo?

Re: Which Hub to get with Amazon Echo?
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2015, 08:03:08 pm »
just to note, if you are getting your home automation from amazon.  Read the specifics.  Most will say if compatible with the echo or not.   

fstbusa

« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2016, 11:50:21 am »
All,

This is my first post....so please bear with me if I ask a stupid question....

I just purchased the Echo AND Smartthings hub.  I also purchased an Ecobee Thermostat and 32 Cree connected bulbs.  My hope was to talk to the Echo to control the stuff through the hub.  After playing around a little, this seems to be much more confusing than I thought.  Before I buy dimmers, cameras, door locks, etc - is there a place online that someone can recommend that has step by step instructions on setting all this up (echo through hub)? 

Thank you in advance for your time.

My recommendation is to get on the smartthings community forum and search around.... there are alot of threads on getting the echo to work with lights, thermostats, and others.... alot of it may require a smart app or two in addition to custom virtual devices... I am giving an echo to my wife for xmas so I can't quite help you out yet.  I have a smartthings setup and will be able to offer more in a couple weeks.

So I now have my echo setup along with ST.... everything works great.  I have 6 lights being controlled along with my garage door and my nest thermostat.  Everything isn't "plug n play" per se` but there is enough information available on the ST forums as well as people willing to help you get things setup.  The Echo integrates pretty much flawlessly.

Kilo32

« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2016, 02:55:17 pm »
I have been using Insteon hub and devices for about 5 years. After getting the Echo I had to upgrade my hub to one that was compatible with Echo. Got it from Smarthome for $80. Model #2245-222. I put different lights into scenes which I then schedule for off/on times. The Echo then found all my devices (34) and I can also put them into groups such as three lights in my living room and name it living room. I can then tell Alexa to turn on/off/dim living room which operates independent from the Insteon app. I am very satisfied with the integration of the two systems.