Echo & Alexa Forums

Door locks and hubs?

Scottyent

Door locks and hubs?
« on: December 27, 2015, 01:35:18 pm »
Hey all,

My family just got an echo, and back ordered one for me that will arrive in three weeks or so. Of all the things I am excited to do with it, one thing I would be very excited to do is install wifi connected locks on our house so we can say "Alexa lock the doors".... Or however exactly it works.

After some research, it looks like in order to control door locks, you need to buy a hub (smartthings looks pretty good) otherwise your echo can't natively play nice with them.

Any one with lock set ups you like? I'm not trying to spend more than 200 bucks per door, and adding in the smartthings hub tacks on another 100.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vegasguy

Re: Door locks and hubs?
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2015, 05:36:28 pm »
Couldn't someone outside the house shout "Alexa unlock the doors"

Scottyent

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2015, 10:58:20 pm »
I thought the same thing hahah however I suppose you can create your own command. One guy wrote on a review that he says "Alexa secure the castle" and she turns off the lights and locks the door.

Also, I'm not legitimately worried much about the locking. I would just like a more convenient and connected lock, and being able to control it with my voice is a big bonus!

ScarlettPhoenix

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2016, 04:34:22 pm »
Couldn't someone outside the house shout "Alexa unlock the doors"

LOL!  I thought the same thing.  I envisioned my home on the 11pm news as having been broken into without anything being disturbed. The reporter just turns to the camera and says, "The burglar asked Alexa to unlock the doors."