Echo & Alexa Forums

Is it possible to wire in an external microphone?

kiriako

Is it possible to wire in an external microphone?
« on: September 26, 2015, 06:58:16 pm »
Hi everyone,

I've recently discovered the Echo today, and have been researching it al day.
I found quite a few posts on how to use external speakers, but I wasn't able to find any hacks to the microphone system.

I just think, since the echo can control the Wink hub, it would be amazing to be able to wire in a speaker and microphone in each room of the house, (all leading back to one Echo unit) and to be able to not have to yell into the other room if you want to turn the lights on in another room. 

Also, I think it would great to have this option so i could save having to add yet another gadget to my countertop and keep the Echo in the control room.

Has anyone ever tried to hot-wire the microphone?

Offline jwlv

Re: Is it possible to wire in an external microphone?
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2015, 07:37:22 pm »
I haven't heard of anyone wiring a new mic to the Echo. That is possibly because the Echo has 7 mics around the circumference of the top of the unit. They are finely tuned so that Echo can determine which direction you are speaking from. When you say something to the Echo, the ring on the top lights up in blue. One portion of that ring will be lit in light blue. That light blue portion will point at the direction you are speaking from. I believe this is so that Echo can tune out other noises in the room, like from a TV or other people talking.

Here's an alternative. My Panasonic cordless phone has an intercom feature. If I were to leave a handset in intercom mode with speakerphone turned on, I can speak to the Echo from another handset. This isn't ideal, since I will not be able to make or receive phone calls from the two handsets that are set to intercom mode. But the idea is to use some kind of intercom system that has a hands-free feature that allows you to speak and listen at the same time. Maybe a baby monitor would do the trick too.

mike27oct

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2015, 09:23:21 pm »
There is a remote control  w/mic that has a magnetic holder.  We keep ours on the fridge.  If I wanted to use it upstairs, I can take remote from holder and take it upstairs.  Do you know how many times we have used the remote?  Once or twice in the past two months.  You can also control Echo from phone app or even PC(which is handy when changing Tunein station without yelling.

Before dreaming up ideas to modify and hack the Echo, get one and use it a while.  It doesn't need extra mics or speakers. 

wchp

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2016, 09:10:47 pm »
Before dreaming up ideas to modify and hack the Echo, get one and use it a while.  It doesn't need extra mics or speakers.

I've had mine for almost a year. She still cant hear me while she is in the kitchen and I am yelling from upstairs in the bedroom to turn out the upstairs hall lights the kids left on. On the other hand, once I yell to Alexa three times down the stairs, the kids wake up and turn them off manually and ask why I didn't just use the wink app. I explain to them, she should be able to hear me because I yell to her the same as they yell to me expecting me to hear them.

So I apparently have come up with a child instructional hack, but would still like to have a remote Mic/Speaker unit that would pair with the Echo base that was always on upstairs. Seams silly to get another Echo for upstairs as well.

mike27oct

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2016, 11:42:33 pm »
I like your "hack" of the Echo (using the kids).  Our Echo is in a central location in the house, making it easier it to hear and be heard.

Well, as you may know ,the Echo originally came with a remote, but it has been out of stock for some time now.  I am sure if it ever reappears, there will be a lot of cheering at this forum.  We have a remote we hardy use, and it's because our Echo is centrally located.

vnctech

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2016, 01:33:27 am »
OK I have had the Echo for a few weeks now. hardwired a 1/8 female jack for speakers, .which goes to the mixer with volume turned up on echo. I hooked up a mixer board to my bose system which has wired and wireless speakers and mixer board connects a mic in every room. there is a speaker right above my echo unit that is in a closet. so it doesn't pickup noise from the house. I speak into any mic in the house and presto the speaker on top of the echo works. I am working on a hub to turn on speakers using the same technology of turning on a light. I pre-ordered 3 dots so I will take one apart and hot wire everything in.