Echo & Alexa Forums

Doing multiple things with one command

MichaelScott

Doing multiple things with one command
« on: June 07, 2017, 08:35:11 pm »
How can I get Alexa to do multiple tasks with one command.  For example-I want to open my garage door and then start my car by simply saying "Alexa, start my car".  I have the MercedesMe app and was able to get Alexa to connect to it and start the car via voice command.  I plan to get the Chamberlain MyQ-G0201 to open the garage door.

Would also want to be able to control all my lights with individual voice commands, but have one voice command that controls a group of lights down stairs.

How can I get them together on one command?

Re: Doing multiple things with one command
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2017, 04:12:42 am »
you can setup groups in your echo app.   just go to smarthome - groups. 

iolinux333

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2017, 05:33:00 am »

That's not enough. I'd like to just say Alexa Party, or Alexa Trigger Party and have either Alexa or IFTTT change the lights, start a certain music station, turn on the AC, etc., all just with one command. I'm surprised IFTTT hasn't implemented an "AND" operator so that triggers can be strung together. Heck, with AND a single Alexa command could power up the world lol. 

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2017, 06:13:59 am »

That's not enough. I'd like to just say Alexa Party, or Alexa Trigger Party and have either Alexa or IFTTT change the lights, start a certain music station, turn on the AC, etc., all just with one command. I'm surprised IFTTT hasn't implemented an "AND" operator so that triggers can be strung together. Heck, with AND a single Alexa command could power up the world lol. 

sorry but you can have a group of lights to turn on whether it is all in one room or all of them in the house.  I have several groups set up, one because whenever the power goes off then comes back on, every single smart light is on and it is easy just to ask alexa to turn everything off. 

as far as the car and garage door, it may or may not need ifttt depending how compatible it is with alexa to begin with.  If setting up groups, and the device is in the setup list, then it may not need ifttt, just a group.  It is something that person will have to play around with when they get the garage door opener unless someone here knows "for sure"  since it is apparent you don't know and I sure don't.

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2017, 08:09:30 am »
Try the YONOMI app for smart phone set-up... it works with tons of products... might help with the one you have. The hard part is getting an app that can communicate with your Car.... a lot of apps will work with the garage door stuff. It depends on what "Smart radio" system is incorporated into the car, as to which products can be used to operate it. This can be a hardware or software product to achieve the results. It's also possible that the car may not be compatible with anything other than the Echo... but it's highly unlikely it's that self centered.
2 Echo Dots 2nd gen
2 echo dots gen 3 (no clock) -2 Echo Dot 3rd gen with Clock
1 echo dot Gen 4 with clock
1 Echo Spot
4 10" Fire Tablets
1 15' Echo show
23 Hue Lights 1 Hue bridge - 1 Amazon Smart plug outlet
One Ring Doorbell Pro
4 cell phones with Alexa app installed!
You should see My Apple Device List!

fstbusa

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2017, 08:25:11 am »
I have a smartthings home automation system and can do multiple actions.  I just have alexa turn on a switch or respond to something that I set up and it triggers whatever I want it to... as far as just having the echo do it without some other app/program/script... its just not possible.