Echo & Alexa Forums

Apple HomePod

Alpha Bitch

Re: Apple HomePod
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2017, 02:01:02 pm »
I don't use my Echos for music... so having a completely separate music system would be pretty cool to me.
The only time I use my DOT for music is to listen to my iTunes library when I am fiddling around in my bedroom which is where my DOT is located.  I have a powerful tiny iHome bt speaker.  Other than that, I play my music from my receiver/stereo/5 disc player sound system.

So for me, the Apple speaker is just too expensive to use only as a personal assistant.

joshsimpson79

« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2017, 02:38:43 pm »
They should fire their marketing firm.

HomePod. Really?

iPad got a lot of flak in the beginning for sounding like a maxi pad.

joshsimpson79

« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2017, 02:44:23 pm »
So far not too impressed... but Hearing is believing in my case. I've listened to a lot of Bluetooth speakers and still haven't found one that sounds better than the "Beats" box available about 3 years back... big white thing with red "handle" openings on each end... I like Bose for their old 901's, but man... Audio just isn't a techie priority nowadays... Maybe Apple did good... maybe they didn't... (I can't afford the Sonos stuff or that would be my speaker of choice right now... but if this speaker rivals Sonos sound quality, then maybe I can swing *it*... Over time I can add one as well... A bit steep for a starting price... but Like I said... Hearing is believing.) I don't use my Echos for music... so having a completely separate music system would be pretty cool to me.

Time will tell.  A couple of columns were really praising the sound, blowing away the echo, google home and sonos.  However, no one knows much at all about its other capabilities.  I have one regular echo and two dots, one connected to home theater setup and the other to an audioengine bluetooth speaker.  I couldn't be happier.

mike27oct

« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2017, 03:20:56 pm »
If the HomePod sounds better than the above devices it still will not sound better than a quality home stereo.  Although I listen to music on my Echo, Taps and rarely a Dot, and soon on a Google Home, they are ALL for background listening. When I want good sound, I always listen to the stereo. But for those without a quality stereo, these other devices (including HomePod)  will have to do, I suppose.

joshsimpson79

« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2017, 04:37:48 pm »
If the HomePod sounds better than the above devices it still will not sound better than a quality home stereo.  Although I listen to music on my Echo, Taps and rarely a Dot, and soon on a Google Home, they are ALL for background listening. When I want good sound, I always listen to the stereo. But for those without a quality stereo, these other devices (including HomePod)  will have to do, I suppose.

It does seem to be good enough for several friends that I know, though.  Not the dot so much, but the regular echo. 

mike27oct

« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2017, 04:53:02 pm »
Sure, and some people think AM radio sound is "good enough", too, but it doesn't end there.

« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2017, 09:19:26 pm »
Absolutely, Mike... Everyone has their level of "OK"... Mine is picky about music systems... I have "OK" sound for my Video stuff... Don't really like it for music much... but it kinda works with the iPhone for music playback... I'd like better sound.

I think it's unfair to say, without ever hearing it, that it doesn't sound as good as something else. The technology in it is impressive as far as claims... but I will definitely take a listen before I put it off the table for options.

I think Audio technology has changed from having loud Earth-Moving volume with half assed clarity... to clarity with accuracy. A Little less Volume. Even in cheapie speakers, as small as they are, the sound can be quite impressive. But not the kind of quality I seek. I installed Car audio for years (Aftermarket and factory stuff... both have their merits), and know I put in tons of Garbage for people who had differing tastes than me. I hated it. I tried to keep my head in the technology end of it to keep me from going nuts making Boom Box Vehicles with no sound quality...

If in fact, the technology side of the Home Pod does what it says... It will likely sound convincingly like a component audio system... especially if you put two in the same area... IF.
2 Echo Dots 2nd gen
2 echo dots gen 3 (no clock) -2 Echo Dot 3rd gen with Clock
1 echo dot Gen 4 with clock
1 Echo Spot
4 10" Fire Tablets
1 15' Echo show
23 Hue Lights 1 Hue bridge - 1 Amazon Smart plug outlet
One Ring Doorbell Pro
4 cell phones with Alexa app installed!
You should see My Apple Device List!

mike27oct

« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2017, 09:56:41 pm »
I never said the HomePod will not sound "good" but there is no way it can compare to a high quality stereo.  I, too, installed my share of car audio systems, because I was once in the high end stereo business.  And, I still have a high end stereo system; over 25 years old now, and the darn things cost almost $10K back in 1990.  No way a $350 AI speaker can touch it today  -- or anyone's $10K system.

So, the HomePod will be what it is, and likely I will not want one, for reasons already expressed.

joshsimpson79

« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2017, 12:44:31 pm »
I never said the HomePod will not sound "good" but there is no way it can compare to a high quality stereo.  I, too, installed my share of car audio systems, because I was once in the high end stereo business.  And, I still have a high end stereo system; over 25 years old now, and the darn things cost almost $10K back in 1990.  No way a $350 AI speaker can touch it today  -- or anyone's $10K system.

So, the HomePod will be what it is, and likely I will not want one, for reasons already expressed.

Oh, I'm not disagreeing with you.  I'm a bit of an audiophile myself.  With amazon having such a lead, that helps.  We don't know how open Apple will be about 3rd party devices, though they seem to be more open than when Jobs was alive.  Plus, the majority might just get the dot for their sound bar or the regular Echo as opposed to a device for $350.  I'm quite curious to see if Apple succeeds in this or not.

Offline jwlv

« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2017, 05:42:36 pm »
I guess Apple is promoting the HomePod as a premium voice controlled speaker and not so much as an AI assistant. Although I have not heard the audio quality of the speaker in person, I can only surmise that Apple put more effort into making a superior-sounding speaker than its competitors. But I'm no audiophile so that's not a big factor for me.  I feel that most people are the same as me. It is now 10 days after the HomePod announcement. Apple stock is about $10 less than before the announcement.

« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2017, 05:48:00 pm »
I believe they missed the boat on this one. :o
Most that jump on this will be the die hard apple users. ::)
The price is way to high and I like you am not an audiophile the sound from my dot is just fine for what I listen to.

malliekm

« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2017, 06:35:04 pm »
>>But I'm no audiophile so that's not a big factor for me.  I feel that most people are the same as me.<<
Me!  I certainly appreciate a nice clear sound that handle base and treble nicely but it's not a deal breaker by any means.  My Google Homes are good enough as is my Jawbone Jambox BT speaker.
ps...thank you Mr Jwlv for removing the capcha-whatever thing :)

mike27oct

« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2017, 07:05:08 pm »
I presume Apple may be positioning this up again quality small speakers such as Bose, but with a twist by including Siri.

Apple stock got caught up in a tech selloff (1 out of 5 investors currently think tech stocks are in bubble territory), nevertheless large investors snapped up tech stocks today during the temporary "sale".

Here's an article of this afternoon that sheds light on Apple stock price:
http://marketrealist.com/2017/06/whats-affected-apple-stock-recently/

(Yes, I follow the stock market.  One has to if that is where the bulk of one's retirement money is stashed!)

« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2017, 09:46:11 pm »
>>But I'm no audiophile so that's not a big factor for me.  I feel that most people are the same as me.<<
Me!  I certainly appreciate a nice clear sound that handle base and treble nicely but it's not a deal breaker by any means.  My Google Homes are good enough as is my Jawbone Jambox BT speaker.
ps...thank you Mr Jwlv for removing the capcha-whatever thing :)

That Jambox is a pretty impressive speaker for it's size... but I find it just a little short of awesome. I think it's sibling one is nicer (the Big Jambox)for it's size as well... Better audio quality simply because it's larger and more capable strictly from a physics point of view if nothing else.

The market is flooded with all kinds of bluetooth speakers... most of them portables. I think the most impressive full audio quality in a portable one I have heard so far, is still that Fugly white one with red accents and a handle on each end... Beats makes it... calls it the BeatsBox... Nowadays I think it's available in black. I'd gladly give just about anything a listen... but I do have an ear for Good sound reproduction... Not quite rich enough to be an audiophile...
2 Echo Dots 2nd gen
2 echo dots gen 3 (no clock) -2 Echo Dot 3rd gen with Clock
1 echo dot Gen 4 with clock
1 Echo Spot
4 10" Fire Tablets
1 15' Echo show
23 Hue Lights 1 Hue bridge - 1 Amazon Smart plug outlet
One Ring Doorbell Pro
4 cell phones with Alexa app installed!
You should see My Apple Device List!

mike27oct

« Reply #29 on: June 13, 2017, 10:34:42 pm »
I remember now,...  Apple bought Beats a year or two ago, so expect the PodHome to sound like a Beats speaker -- because it WILL have a Beats speaker inside!  Duh.