Echo & Alexa Forums

Apple HomePod

k9kids

Apple HomePod
« on: June 05, 2017, 03:45:23 pm »
Looks like the market is heating up.

We'll see how many Appleites flock to the $349.00 price tag.

https://www.engadget.com/2017/06/05/apple-homepod-smart-speaker/

Just as we expected, Apple unveiled its Siri speaker, Homepod, today during its WWDC keynote. It's yet another category where Apple is a bit late to the party -- Amazon's Echo and Alexa ecosystem has grown steadily over the past few years, and Google has also gotten a start with its Home speaker and Assistant. Even Microsoft has a leg up with the Cortana-powered Harman Kardon Invoke speaker. Apple's pitch, as usual, is that it's delivering a more premium audio experience.

The HomePod's small, vase-like case houses a four-inch subwoofer and seven tweeters. It's powered by Apple's A8 processor, just like the iPhone. HomePod features "real-time acoustic modeling," which allows it to tweak music to suit its environment. And of course, you can use it to access Siri with voice commands.

But on the HomePod, Siri is more than just a virtual assistant, it's a "musicologist" that will help you find new tunes on Apple Music. You can also tell Siri you like a certain song, and it'll remember your tastes. What's most unique is that you'll be able to ask Siri specific questions like, "Who's the guitarist on this song?"

HomePod is coming in December for $349. It'll be available in white and Apple's usual space grey.

malliekm

Re: Apple HomePod
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2017, 04:01:17 pm »
Meh. 

k9kids

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2017, 04:04:55 pm »
They should fire their marketing firm.

HomePod. Really?

Offline jwlv

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2017, 04:05:00 pm »
Since Apple's HomeKit works with very few smart plugs, I assume that HomePod will suffer the same fate.

This will be a major setback for Apple. Some of the top names in smart plugs are not compatible and probably will not be compatible in the foreseeable future. This includes SmartThings, Wemo, TP-Link, Logitech, D-Link, etc. All the while just about everything works with Alexa and almost as many with Google Home.

This is like the same dilemma Apple suffered many times in the past, the lack of support from 3rd parties.

Investors are not impressed as Apple's stock price dropped $1.50 today. Apple came much too late to the game and the HomePod does not appear to be superior to Amazon's or Google's devices.

malliekm

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2017, 04:44:28 pm »
This is like the same dilemma Apple suffered many times in the past, the lack of support from 3rd parties.

Maybe Apple is against their religion too  ;)

Alpha Bitch

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2017, 04:45:29 pm »
Since Apple's HomeKit works with very few smart plugs, I assume that HomePod will suffer the same fate.

This will be a major setback for Apple. Some of the top names in smart plugs are not compatible and probably will not be compatible in the foreseeable future. This includes SmartThings, Wemo, TP-Link, Logitech, D-Link, etc. All the while just about everything works with Alexa and almost as many with Google Home.

Investors are not impressed as Apple's stock price dropped $1.50 today. Apple came much too late to the game and the HomePod does not appear to be superior to Amazon's or Google's devices.
System Requirements....
Echo/DOT - Macs, Pcs, iOS, all cell phone manufacturers=cross platform.

Google Home - Mobile devices ONLY... 
    Android 4.2 and higher
    iOS 8 and higher
Note: You can’t set up Google Home on a computer.
[/b]

Apple Home Pod - Siri
I could not find any other info regarding using iTunes playlist, OS & iOS compatibility.
Does appear to be an "Apple" compatibility device since the speaker works w/Siri Apple's AI = non cross platform.
Price:  Expensive compared to the other "personal assistants" on the market.

Personal Opinion:
Echo/DOT is the way to go.  With its cross platform compatibility & "affordable" price, its popularity will continue to sky rocket.

mike27oct

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2017, 05:47:58 pm »
Not for me, that's for sure.  I DO know who the buyers will be; one will be my son-in-law, who is definitely an Apple fanboy.  He gets every new iPhone when it comes out, he bought the Apple Watch, and GAVE AWAY the two Dots we presented them as family gifts for upstairs and downstairs this past Xmas; yes, in less than 24 hours they were the bedroom property of the two grandsons, ages 10 and 13 so they could ask Alexa stupid questions like they would do at our house.  Parents saw no utility in the gadgets, although they knew we enjoyed our Alexa things.  Go figure.  (No more tech gifts for this family.)

k9kids

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2017, 06:12:54 pm »
Likely on Seinfeld... No more soup for you.
 ;D ;D ;D

mike27oct

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2017, 06:21:13 pm »
Huh?

k9kids

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2017, 06:24:24 pm »
You never saw the episode where the soup nazi wouldn't give the soup?

No soup for you!

No tech gifts for you. Get it?

mike27oct

« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2017, 06:37:46 pm »
Oh, so THAT'S the Seinfeld episode I missed.  Yea, got it now.

malliekm

« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2017, 06:43:39 pm »
Mike, are you tracking your Google Home? You should have a USPS tracking number by now.

Alpha Bitch

« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2017, 06:59:45 pm »
Finally!  From Apple's website....

HomePod

mike27oct

« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2017, 08:40:15 pm »
Mike, are you tracking your Google Home? You should have a USPS tracking number by now.

did, Mom,  That's how I know it left Friday afternoon, is coming via Priority and now it is in the black hole of no info until it arrives at my mail facility.  BTW, did you know that most people who work in post offices are aliens (with lots or arms, etc.) ?  This factoid complements of Men in Black movie.

« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2017, 07:47:09 am »
So far not too impressed... but Hearing is believing in my case. I've listened to a lot of Bluetooth speakers and still haven't found one that sounds better than the "Beats" box available about 3 years back... big white thing with red "handle" openings on each end... I like Bose for their old 901's, but man... Audio just isn't a techie priority nowadays... Maybe Apple did good... maybe they didn't... (I can't afford the Sonos stuff or that would be my speaker of choice right now... but if this speaker rivals Sonos sound quality, then maybe I can swing *it*... Over time I can add one as well... A bit steep for a starting price... but Like I said... Hearing is believing.) I don't use my Echos for music... so having a completely separate music system would be pretty cool to me.
2 Echo Dots 2nd gen
2 echo dots gen 3 (no clock) -2 Echo Dot 3rd gen with Clock
1 echo dot Gen 4 with clock
1 Echo Spot
4 10" Fire Tablets
1 15' Echo show
23 Hue Lights 1 Hue bridge - 1 Amazon Smart plug outlet
One Ring Doorbell Pro
4 cell phones with Alexa app installed!
You should see My Apple Device List!