Alexa messaging and calling in the UK

AlanH

Re: Alexa messaging and calling in the UK
« Reply #45 on: September 29, 2017, 02:30:55 pm »
On iOS or Android?

Envisager

« Reply #46 on: September 29, 2017, 03:01:55 pm »
I managed to get it working by downloading the APK from another site. The version you need is apparently 2.1.366.0 (the version which was available on the Play Store was  2.1.297.0).

Thanks for this - I managed to find the correct Android APK and it now all works like a treat :)

Link: https://android-apk.org/com.amazon.dee.app/32371823-alexa/
« Last Edit: September 29, 2017, 03:07:06 pm by Envisager »

greatcapp

« Reply #47 on: September 29, 2017, 03:07:05 pm »
Same for me. I downloaded it from here http://rawapk.com/amazon-alexa-apk-download/ and it's now working fine on mine too.

Thanks for that info .

greatcapp

« Reply #48 on: September 29, 2017, 03:11:23 pm »
I do seem to now have a constant flashing green ring on my echo now. Is that normal, or should I refrain from swearing at the TV each time my team lets another goal in, as the missus is now listening from the dining room? :-)

***EDIT*** Ah, it meant I had a message.

"Alexa, check my messages"

« Last Edit: September 29, 2017, 03:13:01 pm by greatcapp »

StevenR

« Reply #49 on: September 29, 2017, 03:18:37 pm »
I do seem to now have a constant flashing green ring on my echo now. Is that normal, or should I refrain from swearing at the TV each time my team lets another goal in, as the missus is now listening from the dining room? :-)

That caught me out to start with. It's a bit strange that the first thing that happens when you set up calling and messaging is that you get a message from yourself telling you about messaging!

Also, has anybody else noticed that, after enabling messaging, their phone connects to their Echo via Bluetooth at any available opportunity? I ended up having to unpair my phone from my Echo Dot to stop it happening.

greatcapp

« Reply #50 on: September 29, 2017, 03:35:01 pm »

That caught me out to start with. It's a bit strange that the first thing that happens when you set up calling and messaging is that you get a message from yourself telling you about messaging!

Also, has anybody else noticed that, after enabling messaging, their phone connects to their Echo via Bluetooth at any available opportunity? I ended up having to unpair my phone from my Echo Dot to stop it happening.

Just checked my phone with a Spotify song, and whilst it told me it had found a new place to play from, I just said "not now" and it played through the phone.I'll keep an eye on it though.

MacNee

« Reply #51 on: September 29, 2017, 04:01:45 pm »
Downloaded the newer version but no contacts to talk to?? Uninstalled and reinstalled and it asked permission to access phonebook but still no contacts... suggestions please??

greatcapp

« Reply #52 on: September 29, 2017, 04:54:40 pm »
Downloaded the newer version but no contacts to talk to?? Uninstalled and reinstalled and it asked permission to access phonebook but still no contacts... suggestions please??

The missus is logged in to Alexa app on her iPhone, but the updated app isn't live on there. I got her to log in on my Android app, and it set her up from there. I can now call or message her from my phone and the echo's at home ring.

Or are you hoping to call people from your regular phone contacts type list (that don't have echos setup)? Not sure if that will work yet (or at all).

MacNee

« Reply #53 on: September 29, 2017, 05:09:54 pm »
Was trying to message my brothers echo dot.  I told him of the update, perhaps he hasn't installed it yet so I doesn't recognise him yet.

chrisarvor

« Reply #54 on: October 01, 2017, 07:42:36 am »
If you check your app make sure you have the conversation Balloon on the top right

samsethi

« Reply #55 on: October 01, 2017, 05:11:18 pm »
This is now beyond frustrating.  I was slightly annoyed when these features were launched only in the US and not UK but now it's beyond galling because Amazon UK has started marketing on the UK website about how great the messaging is with Alexa.  I don't understand the delay given the Android version can be sideloaded already.   

MacNee

« Reply #56 on: October 01, 2017, 05:14:40 pm »
My brother was still on older version , now that he has upgraded its working fine now. Strange the newer version of app wasn't on play store.

TheTsar

« Reply #57 on: October 03, 2017, 03:16:02 am »
The new version of the app is now on the Play Store.

AlanH

« Reply #58 on: October 03, 2017, 03:17:33 am »
As is the iOS version in the App Store.

Jon1606

« Reply #59 on: October 03, 2017, 03:59:28 am »
Hi all

Right I read about this in the on Friday 29th Sept and was very excited (sad I know), anyway I could not get it to work so I called Amazon.

They told me that no update to the app was needed BUT the
device software version of my Dot must be at 588443320.

I have three dots and they are all on version 588443520.

The upgrade to the version is being rolled out in a controlled manner and should be done within the week for all dots.

I am holding my breath !