Echo & Alexa Forums

Alexa messaging and calling in the UK

GMIDGLEY

Re: Alexa messaging and calling in the UK
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2017, 08:48:29 am »
I got this from Amazon today after sending feedback via Alexa App

Greetings from Amazon.co.uk,

I understand that you'd like to access Alexa calling and Drop in feature on your Echo Dot.

I'm afraid that currently 'Alexa calling and Drop in' is only available in Amazon.com. It may release in Amazon.co.uk but currently, we cannot speculate the exact estimated time of launch of this device in UK.

To ensure utmost attention, I've forwarded your email as a feedback with our concerned team. I'll assure you that your feedback will be taken into the consideration for the launch of this feature in Amazon.co.uk.

chitambira

« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2017, 03:14:44 am »
I've just noticed that the setting to enable Drop In for a device is now in the Alexa app in the UK. None of the other settings are there, and I can't enable calling or messaging but this may be a good sign.

Anybody noticed the drop in setting in Alexa App have been pulled off? Not a good sign....

mikee123

« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2017, 10:25:38 am »
It was a bit fiddly. You have to make sure the app is updated to the newest version. When its updated it'll ask you your name, and contact number (use your mobile number). It will take then the contacts from your address book to see who has an Alexa account. For me, there were none, none of my friends with Alexa have it enabled. In the app, click on the middle button at the bottom (conversations). From there you can find drop in, it then listed my 2 alexas and I can choose which one to drop into.
Does that make sense ?

I've got the most up to date version of the app from the play store (client version 1.24.2221.0, Bridge version 2.1.23.5) and I don't get presented with the options you describe.

Can you confirm which version you are on?

I have the Android app version 2.1.23.5  (UK)

EchoTalker

« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2017, 04:11:15 am »
Possible reasons this could work for you in the UK

You are an amazon prime member, you shop at Amazon US or registered the account on amazon.com

But if you created an account on the Amazon UK it won't work for you yet.

I created a test Amazon US account and worked for me, so if you have it working it's either you are a prime member or your account is linked to US

Hope that helps anyone wanting to use drop in / calling now (in the UK)

I don't use Alexa to shop for me, so I'll be using the test US account for now.

alvaro0811

« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2017, 03:32:22 am »
Hi, can you please explain how did you create an US amazon account and then link it to your Alexa device?

Many thanks!

RalphAverbuch

« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2017, 09:41:29 am »
Thought it would maybe be helpful to share my recent experience.

We have three Echo dots in the house -- living room and in both kid's bedrooms. Also have an Alexa enabled Firestick in the TV. So the idea of being able to drop in on the kids to tell them to come for dinner, etc, is VERY appealing. No more yelling at the top of my lungs to get their attention and draw them away from their gadgets.

But it was never appearing as a feature until, last week, I spotted a short-lived, YouTube video that explained how to activate the feature.

Essentially I learned that if I changed my address to the USA then, as if by magic, the features for calling and messaging appeared in the app after re-starting. I tested the room to room calling or calling from the app to a specific Echo dot and all worked just fine. Sorted!

But there was a fly in the ointment. Most of my services are through the UK Amazon site including the Echo Music deal where you can have all the music you want on one echo for 3.99 a month. I'd just begun this subscription (after cancelling my old LoveFilm DVD subscription).

Annoyingly, after testing all the Echo messaging features were up and running, I then discoved that the Echo Music subscription was now AWOL. I did get it back but it required a call to customer support and changing back my account info to the UK.

So everything does work as described in the numerous videos explaining how good it is to have... but if you subscribe to rolling IP based services such as Amazon Prime TV or Amazon Music, I suspect these will break.

So for me it's back to square one and waiting for Amazon to get around to enabling the service for the pesky Brits...

Cheers

Ralph

« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2017, 10:33:07 am »
@RalphAverbuch,
Did you attempt to change your address back to the original prior to calling customer service?
Doing this I read returned most stuff back keeping the dropping and calling and only affected kindle account stuff.
I had read it allowed access to your amazon music still.
If you did attempt to change your address back it is good to know that isn't true.

TheTsar

« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2017, 06:24:01 am »
Here's a solution for drop-in and voice calling in the UK...

I have an echo and a dot linked to my amazon.co.uk account. I could not get voice calling to work.

I did the following this morning and it worked...

I created an amazon.com account and set an address in USA. No payment method needed.
I logged out of the Alexa app (android) and logged in with my new US account.
This failed with the message "Cannot connect to cloud". I cleared Alexa app data and cache, logged in again and it worked.
I had to remove the association between my mobile number and amazon.co.uk account to be able to associate my UK mobile number with the amazon.com account. This was needed to get voice calling working. Wife's number is now set for the amazon.co.uk account.
I changed the location in the app for both echo and dot to be my home address (for weather) and set the time zone to UK. Weather and time now work correctly.
Voice calling now works, Drop in between echo and dot now works.
I had to reconnect a couple of TP Link smart plugs to the Alexa app - these now work.

I'll play with the voice calling and messaging to see if I can find any faults/issues.

One problem I did find is that Spotify voice control does not seem to work. Playing Spotify on phone and sending to echo works fine but Spotify voice control fails (even though Spotify is set as the default music service) So I need to look at this a bit more.   

samsethi

« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2017, 09:38:45 am »
Hi Tsar

I had thought about doing the same.  Currently there is no UK only skill (so far) that I need on my Alexa/Dot(s) that I can't live without.  I have NEST, TP-Link and Ring devices.  I can't think of anything specific on those devices that would restrict me using the US setting for Alexa.  Having mutli-room (already), intercom, calls and dropin out weigh my need for the BBC flash news briefing. 

One thing this proves there is NO technical reason why Amazon couldn't enable this now in the UK.   

Thanks
Sam
« Last Edit: September 04, 2017, 02:45:03 pm by samsethi »

Kaschool

« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2017, 07:17:48 pm »
Hi All

Looks like amazon may have enabled calling in the UK now. I was able to drop in from my echo show in the US to my parents echo in the UK. Works consistently each time over the last couple of days and their echo is registered as a uk account (not faked with US account which I did get working a few months ago).

So I’m guessing they have enabled something in their backend to allow calling to and drop in to uk accounts work. Although I haven’t asked my parents to try calling my echo show yet so not sure it’s enabled the other way around.

It’s pretty cool since I can look at my show and sometimes it will have an alert saying Mum and dads house recently active so I know they are home and I can just “drop in”

Rich.

StevenR

« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2017, 01:36:34 pm »
Hi All

Looks like amazon may have enabled calling in the UK now. I was able to drop in from my echo show in the US to my parents echo in the UK. Works consistently each time over the last couple of days and their echo is registered as a uk account (not faked with US account which I did get working a few months ago).

If you had previously had their Echo set up using a US account this is probably why this is working. Amazon probably still has the devices associated with their telephone number so you are able to drop in to them. If they try to drop in or call you they will probably get the same response as I get, "I'm not quite sure how to help you with that".

Bandageboyz

« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2017, 07:20:47 am »
Great to see that calling and intercom (Drop in) are now available in the UK. You need to update the Alexa App a link for which is available via the Amazon Shopping App. Seems to be working for me.

shorner

« Reply #27 on: September 28, 2017, 11:21:31 am »
Not working for me yet, tried downloading latest version through Amazon App which installed fine but think its just the same version at the play store.

Details from the App are:
Host Name: alexa.amazon.co.uk
client Version: 1.24.2680.0
Bridge Version: 2.1.297.0

I have 3 Echo Dots all of which are running Device Software version: 588443520

Can anyone who has it working in the UK with UK account confirm their versions?

AlanH

« Reply #28 on: September 28, 2017, 11:27:37 am »
No sign of an updated Alexa app for iOS on the Apple App Store.

Beetle-Snake

« Reply #29 on: September 28, 2017, 11:43:52 am »
working on my devices despite app not yet being updated