Echo & Alexa User Discussions and Support Forums

When a person is not breathing, permanent brain damage begins after 4 minutes and death in 6 minutes after that. Can you count on help arriving before that time? Learning proper CPR techniques is easy and you can learn it in 30 minutes at CPR Test Center.

Alexa messaging and calling in the UK

Offline AlanH

Re: Alexa messaging and calling in the UK
« Reply #30 on: September 28, 2017, 11:48:34 am »
working on my devices despite app not yet being updated
What settings need to be enabled to make this work?

Offline Joe Duffy

• 1 Echo, 1 Echo Dot, 1 Sonos Play1, 1 Sonos Play5
« Reply #31 on: September 28, 2017, 12:32:53 pm »
I can see the Alexa help pages on Amazon UK now cover calling, messaging and drop-in but I can't see how to enable them either?

Offline AlanH

« Reply #32 on: September 28, 2017, 12:34:21 pm »
I can see the Alexa help pages on Amazon UK now cover calling, messaging and drop-in but I can't see how to enable them either?
Good to know itís not just me  :-[

Offline Joe Duffy

• 1 Echo, 1 Echo Dot, 1 Sonos Play1, 1 Sonos Play5
« Reply #33 on: September 28, 2017, 12:57:46 pm »
Using them as a home intercom is what I'm looking forward to! Drives me mad folk bawling upstairs.

« Reply #34 on: September 28, 2017, 03:19:23 pm »
This is getting frustrating.

Amazon UK Help states "This feature is available to Alexa customers in the United States, United Kingdom and Germany. All you need to sign up is an Amazon account, the Alexa app (installed on a compatible iOS or Android phone), and a cell phone number."

But even after re-installing the app and redownloading the app from the app store, I still see no option to activate messaging or drop in

Any ideas?

« Reply #35 on: September 28, 2017, 04:40:55 pm »
This is getting frustrating.

Amazon UK Help states "This feature is available to Alexa customers in the United States, United Kingdom and Germany. All you need to sign up is an Amazon account, the Alexa app (installed on a compatible iOS or Android phone), and a cell phone number."

But even after re-installing the app and redownloading the app from the app store, I still see no option to activate messaging or drop in

Any ideas?

Same for me.

I'm guessing we need to wait for something at their end to start up. Spent an hour or so earlier deleting, making usa amazon accounts, install app on ios, android etc. Still no dice.

Offline AlanH

« Reply #36 on: September 28, 2017, 04:42:22 pm »
I donít believe itís working in the U.K. yet.

« Reply #37 on: September 28, 2017, 05:53:40 pm »
I donít believe itís working in the U.K. yet.

Definitely working on mine in the UK on a UK account. I have not done anything to my settings but I can call any device or drop in. Been working since first thing this morning. App still not updated.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2017, 06:29:40 pm by Beetle-Snake »

« Reply #38 on: September 29, 2017, 10:09:44 am »
A couple of comments.
The app has not been updated in the Apple App store from what I can see.
You cannot install the update on all devices. It works on my android phone but not tablet.
I have only been able to update the app using the link listed on the Amazon store. Not directly via the play store.
I am based in the UK with a UK account and have it working with the intercom. Just can't call anyone due to the issues with the app updates.
So its there but the roll out seems rather poor.

« Reply #39 on: September 29, 2017, 11:29:03 am »
A couple of comments.
I have only been able to update the app using the link listed on the Amazon store. Not directly via the play store.

Would you be able to share this link? The only link I found in the Amazon Shopping app just sent me to the Play Store with no option to update.

Offline AlanH

« Reply #40 on: September 29, 2017, 11:55:58 am »
Iím taking these claims with a large pinch of salt. I donít believe Amazon would allow a partial release of an updated app for some devices and not others. Plus the ďWhatís new with Alexa?Ē email makes no mention of this.

« Reply #41 on: September 29, 2017, 01:56:03 pm »
Iím taking these claims with a large pinch of salt. I donít believe Amazon would allow a partial release of an updated app for some devices and not others. Plus the ďWhatís new with Alexa?Ē email makes no mention of this.

But the info is on the UK website. It's just not working for most of us? I don't believe the people here who have it working are blagging us. What would be the point in that?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=202153130
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=202158530
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=202136190

Offline AlanH

« Reply #42 on: September 29, 2017, 02:04:28 pm »
After following three pages of Amazon links, youíre told to sign up for Alexa Calling and Messaging by opening the Conversations tab on the app. Iím running iOS 11.0.1 on an iPhone 6, with the latest version of the Alexa app, and thereís no Conversations tab on my app, and I havenít seen an update to the Alexa app for some time.

« Reply #43 on: September 29, 2017, 02:06:40 pm »
I managed to get it working by downloading the APK from another site. The version you need is apparently 2.1.366.0 (the version which was available on the Play Store was  2.1.297.0).

« Reply #44 on: September 29, 2017, 02:18:53 pm »

Take as much salt as you want but I can assure you I have it working. I don't know why either but it's 100% working