Alexa messaging and calling in the UK

Ddavewoods

Alexa messaging and calling in the UK
« on: June 05, 2017, 06:27:12 am »
Ho does anyone know when this might be anabled in the UK

StevenR

Re: Alexa messaging and calling in the UK
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2017, 06:20:14 am »
I've just noticed that the setting to enable Drop In for a device is now in the Alexa app in the UK. None of the other settings are there, and I can't enable calling or messaging but this may be a good sign.

Beetle-Snake

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2017, 03:13:57 pm »
I've just noticed that the setting to enable Drop In for a device is now in the Alexa app in the UK. None of the other settings are there, and I can't enable calling or messaging but this may be a good sign.

I can enable on mine also but can't use it. Tried various commands but get nothing. Looks like we in the UK may need to wait until 'calling' is fully enabled.

mikee123

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2017, 11:49:59 am »
Drop in is working for me. Sound quality is absolutely terrible though. Basically unusable. And that's on a very fast fibre broadband and 4G mobile tested from various locations with good and fast data connection

StevenR

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2017, 12:23:37 pm »
Drop in is working for me. Sound quality is absolutely terrible though. Basically unusable. And that's on a very fast fibre broadband and 4G mobile tested from various locations with good and fast data connection

Is this in the UK?

mikee123

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2017, 03:35:46 am »

Is this in the UK?

Yes I am in the UK

StevenR

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2017, 07:52:07 am »
How did you get it working? If I say "Alexa, drop in on <device name>" I just get "I'm not quite sure  how to help you with that."

mikee123

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2017, 08:44:15 am »
It was a bit fiddly. You have to make sure the app is updated to the newest version. When its updated it'll ask you your name, and contact number (use your mobile number). It will take then the contacts from your address book to see who has an Alexa account. For me, there were none, none of my friends with Alexa have it enabled. In the app, click on the middle button at the bottom (conversations). From there you can find drop in, it then listed my 2 alexas and I can choose which one to drop into.
Does that make sense ?

StevenR

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2017, 10:54:46 am »
How did you get the updated app? I apparently have the latest Play Store version available in the UK, but this never prompted me for my phone number. Did you download an APK?

malliekm

« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2017, 12:01:58 pm »
Apparently I don't get the whole drop-in thing.   How is it different than the intercom feature?

AlanH

« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2017, 12:23:04 pm »
Apparently I don't get the whole drop-in thing.   How is it different than the intercom feature?

I think an intercom call requires the recipient to accept/answer the call. With Drop-in, the call arrives on your Alexa device without you accepting/answering.

https://techcrunch.com/2017/06/28/amazon-disputes-claims-that-echo-shows-drop-in-feature-is-a-security-risk/

G-Bot

« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2017, 05:16:25 pm »
It was a bit fiddly. You have to make sure the app is updated to the newest version. When its updated it'll ask you your name, and contact number (use your mobile number). It will take then the contacts from your address book to see who has an Alexa account. For me, there were none, none of my friends with Alexa have it enabled. In the app, click on the middle button at the bottom (conversations). From there you can find drop in, it then listed my 2 alexas and I can choose which one to drop into.
Does that make sense ?

I've got the most up to date version of the app from the play store (client version 1.24.2221.0, Bridge version 2.1.23.5) and I don't get presented with the options you describe.

Can you confirm which version you are on?

G-Bot

« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2017, 05:53:46 pm »
I called customer service and they told me Alexa calling had not been launched in the UK yet

dwlovatt

« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2017, 04:17:45 am »
I called customer service and they told me Alexa calling had not been launched in the UK yet

FYI - I am in the UK, using the latest version of App / Device firmware. I have Echo Dots and Echo.

I am using Call and Dropin fine - however: It is not just to do with the latest version of the App. It is where your account is registered.

I have both a US and a UK account (have to have a US billing address and card for the former). When I switch between the two on my devices/app, the features appear and then disappear from the App.

Dropin is...well....freaky and I will be disabling it I think. Call is much more useful as an intercom around the house.

Hope that helps.

rusty

« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2017, 08:02:12 am »
When can we expect the update to this in the UK please?