Get CPR certified in 30 minutes at CPR Test Center.
Echo & Alexa Forums

How to set up Alexa calling without a smartphone

nhbeachguy

How to set up Alexa calling without a smartphone
« on: May 26, 2017, 05:03:38 pm »
Alexa calling will be great for my older sister -- if she falls and can't get to the phone, she could call me (and it would just be cool if she could leave me a message). BUT she does not have a smartphone (just a cell phone that just does calls).

If there any way to do this?

PS: I'm aware of 'Ask My Buddy' for emergencies...

Thanks,
\Dave

iolinux333

Re: How to set up Alexa calling without a smartphone
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2017, 07:10:44 am »
I'm not sure, but maybe you could try set it up via the Alexa web page?  Maybe not - I think it needs contacts info/access.

Re: How to set up Alexa calling without a smartphone
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2017, 11:50:29 am »
iolinux333 is right... Can't set up Calling without the contact list. If you try and don't allow contacts on a Smart Phone, it still won't allow you to use it... I think it' a Mole to take everyone's Contact list and sell it to marketing firms and researchers.

I imagine you could use ANYONE's Smart phone to set it up, and make sure you're number is always on that phone's contact list, and The Alexa stuff could be set up with that person's contact list and will likely work fine unless they remove the listing for you... or lose the phone or replace it or whatever scenario comes up. I have 3 spare smart phones we use as iPods for music and smart house features... Probably should have set my Echos up with one of those instead of my daily driver phone...
2 Echo Dots 2nd gen
2 echo dots gen 3 (no clock) -2 Echo Dot 3rd gen with Clock
1 echo dot Gen 4 with clock
1 Echo Spot
4 10" Fire Tablets
1 15' Echo show
23 Hue Lights 1 Hue bridge - 1 Amazon Smart plug outlet
One Ring Doorbell Pro
4 cell phones with Alexa app installed!
You should see My Apple Device List!