Echo & Alexa Forums

marks on furniture

furnmkr

marks on furniture
« on: May 24, 2017, 01:08:46 pm »
I am getting circular white marks on my wooden furniture from the Echo Dot.  Does anyone else have this problem?  What would cause this?

Offline kevb

Re: marks on furniture
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2017, 01:20:58 pm »
Is your Dot getting warm / hot while in use? I've seen on here that some people will put the Dot on a coaster. I've not had the issue.

mike27oct

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2017, 01:49:29 pm »
Gen 1 Dots run very hot; especially if it has been playing music for a long time.  So, I suggested long ago to use coasters under them; maybe a couple of them.  Gen 2 Dots run a little cooler; I don't play music from any Dots except the one plugged into the stereo, so for this one I have it on a coaster.

White marks on the finish are likely due to high heat, and basically, the finish is discolored/damaged  from heat.  Put some colored furniture oil on it to see if you can repair it. Otherwise, you are out of luck.

malliekm

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2017, 05:33:34 pm »
Before using a colored furniture oil on the stain, try removing the stain with some of these suggestions.  This is for white marks on furniture due to HEAT, not water.  I haven't had the problem so I haven't tried these suggestions but over the years, I've heard that they do work.
Dot 1 is on a white painted window sill
Dot 2 is on granite
Dot 3 is on top of the Keurig (I remove it when we use the coffee maker which is not often)

How do you remove heat stains from wood tables?
More Items & Techniques To try

Mix 50/50 toothpaste and baking soda, rub in. ...
    Rub in a paste of salt and olive oil, allow to sit for up to an hour. ...
    Rub in Miracle Whip (Mayonnaise) and wipe off after an hour.
    Mix 50/50 vinegar and olive oil and rub into the watermark.
    Try straight toothpaste (non-gel).
-------------------------------------------------------
http://tipnut.com/diy-how-to-remove-white-heat-stains-on-wood-table/

mike27oct

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2017, 03:07:35 am »
Monica, thanks for looking up the household tip on this one.  A small dab of toothpaste on an index finger is a trick I learned years ago from a family friend watch repairman.  He showed me how to remove hair line scratches on a watch face crystal to polish it up.  It is a solution I have used for many things.

The white circles are most likely on the wood finish surface that got cloudy from the heat, and may likely remove a microscopic portion of the finish if the damage is not too deep into the finish.  The wood finish would probably benefit from a little furniture oil after the toothpaste treatment does its thing.

Colin235

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2019, 10:32:53 am »
Hi Thanks for useful tips!
I had a same problem with my Echodot(((
But I started to clean my wooden table with water...and the situation became even worse(

But than i use this advice with iron and that helps, maybe it can be useful for some one also ;)

-------------------------------------------------
https://beezzly.com/home/cleaning/how-to-remove-heat-stain-from-wood

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2019, 01:26:10 pm »
I just saw a guy use a hair dryer the other day, to warm up the area and let it cool down without anything on it anti looked like it never happened... this was not online, it was a live experience... sorry no video. I do not know how the discoloration occurred either, but it looked like a rubber ring under something caused the discolration... could have been from heat or moisture either one.
2 Echo Dots 2nd gen
2 echo dots gen 3 (no clock) -2 Echo Dot 3rd gen with Clock
1 echo dot Gen 4 with clock
1 Echo Spot
4 10" Fire Tablets
1 15' Echo show
23 Hue Lights 1 Hue bridge - 1 Amazon Smart plug outlet
One Ring Doorbell Pro
4 cell phones with Alexa app installed!
You should see My Apple Device List!