Echo & Alexa Forums

Welcome aboard!

Offline jwlv

Welcome aboard!
« on: January 25, 2015, 12:22:32 pm »
Welcome to Echo Talk. These forums are dedicated to the discussion of the Amazon Echo device.

I decided to set up this Un-Official Amazon Echo discussion forum because the Official Amazon forums are kind of a mess. It's hard to keep track of topics and threads. The official forums are for everything related to Amazon, and too broad in scope. This forum is dedicated only to the Amazon Echo.

You already know that to register for an account here you need to enter a CAPTCHA and answer a silly question. This requirement is so that we can weed out annoying spammers. It's amazing how many spammers already attempted to create accounts on here. The CAPTCHA and questions may come up again, especially for new members when they post their first message to the forum. After that, you won't have to do it again. I realize it's a pain to go through this, but it is the only reasonable way to get rid of spammers.

One of our members here has written in his own blog, "Basically, I’m a fan of anything that makes it seem more like we’re living in Star Trek." I've never really thought about it before, but I realized that any technology that resembles Star Trek is what I've been doing most of my life. That's why I get so excited when it comes to new technologies such as Smart Watches, LED lighting, Internet controlled cameras, etc. Years ago, I even did a research paper in college on natural language processing and neuro-networks. It's been 20+ years since college, and we're finally able to realize what many people envisioned years ago. This is a very exciting time.

This forum is for everyone, beginners and hardcore enthusiasts alike, and even handicapped people, to make the most of this technology. It is amazing how far we've come, but the road ahead is still daunting.

I'm very happy to be a part of this era where we can play, learn, and utilize this technology and share it with everyone.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2018, 07:37:58 pm by jwlv »

freethot

Re: Welcome aboard!
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2015, 02:44:30 pm »
Thanks for the forum :)   These are the best of times, I feel.

Wctrav

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2016, 10:30:22 pm »
I am brand new to Echo. Most things are working well. However, when I type on my iPad in other programs, it clicks each stroke on my Echo speaker. How can I stop this?

mike27oct

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2016, 12:11:49 am »
Aliens have taken over you new Echo.  You must destroy it immediately!

Actually,
Your iPad is most likely connected to the Echo via Bluetooth.  Disconnect iPad from Echo, and/or turn off the BT of your iPad.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2016, 12:26:16 am by mike27oct »

dj_skully

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2016, 11:32:14 am »
Hey there, just wanted to say thank you for starting this forum! It has been a great place for everyone to share what they know and have learned about the device. You are a true pioneer of the frontier in the Star Trek sense!

shastapoke

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2016, 06:02:14 pm »
Thanks for doing this forum.  The Amazon discussion boards are too spread out and not easy to zero in on specific stuff.  We just got back from a visit and they had an Echo.  I barely knew what the Echo is.  I was sold in a couple of minutes and ours is due here in a few days.  I'm hoping to use its many impressive capabilities.

Update: It's here and we are enjoying it. 
« Last Edit: January 26, 2016, 03:16:52 pm by shastapoke »

oldsod

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2016, 12:15:47 pm »
Thanks great forum

leehop71

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2016, 10:06:06 pm »
I'm seriously considering getting an Echo.  I can't find any recent (2016) reviews.  The early reviews had some concerns and bugs, but I'm thinking that the software/firmware has been updated since then??

mike27oct

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2016, 03:26:42 am »
I just answered your same question in another forum where you posted same question, so go find it.

RBCH

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2016, 01:20:15 pm »
Thanks! Love my Echo except for 1 thing. She can't pronounce my name!! How do you change her pronunciation of a name?? Help! It drives me nuts!

vegasguy

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2016, 04:06:23 pm »
Alexa pronounces words based on the way it is spelled. Let's say your name is Henry but pronounced the French way (on-REE) and not the English way (HEN-ree). If you enter your name phonetically Alexa should pronounce it correctly, although it would be misspelled. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RBCH

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2016, 07:49:08 pm »
Where do I enter my name phonetically? I did change my name to the phonetic spelling under name of device but Echo is still saying my name the same way. I know it's trivial but it is irritating!
Thanks for any help you can give!!

Cat_LeDevic

« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2016, 01:40:41 pm »
LOL you're one up on me. I didn't know you could even put your name into Alexa! She hasn't asked for it, far as I know. I'd sell tickets to hear her give my last name a shot, though - 95% fail rate from humans. lolol

« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2016, 04:04:59 pm »
LOL you're one up on me. I didn't know you could even put your name into Alexa! She hasn't asked for it, far as I know. I'd sell tickets to hear her give my last name a shot, though - 95% fail rate from humans. lolol

It thinks my last name is a curse word. 

JessONeill

« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2016, 08:49:33 pm »
I just joined this forum and was very happy to find it!  I love the Echo and really enjoy interacting with Alexa.  She's nice to have around!  :)